Book and Repair Manual Recommendations

Ron K.

I need advice from all of you experienced restorers and maintainers as to which books and manuals that I need to get started on my '40 Cabriolet. I have absolutely nothing except for a 1942 Motors Manual and am in dire need of instruction. I would like to post a picture of my treasure but cannot figure out how to do that. I tried "Attach Files" but it did not work for me. Thanks.

Guest zazothex

You can find the Ford service manual online for this era. It covers most of the mechanicals and helpful things like that. The best book to get for restorations is the authenticity guide put out by the LZOC. That's a great go-to for colors, designs and setups. I have a chassis book, which lists the factory numbers and diagrams for most of the non-sheet metal parts of the Lincolns.

There's more, but that's a pretty good start.

Ron. On the LZOC main web page, find the "sources" icon and click on it. Scroll down to Earle O. Brown's web page and click on it. Page 4 of his list show books you will need for your LC. Earle does not use a computer, so you will have to call him directly. Great source of mechanical parts. The other vendors listed are also excellent sources. If one vendor doesn't have what you need, the others may have it. They are also very knowledgable Lincoln people. Members of LZOC who have 1940 LC's (me included) will also help with your problems. Just ask.

Thank you very much John, I left a message for him this morning. I got the hood open yesterday and found a early 50's V8 in the place of the V12. It looks like it was bolted directly to the original transmission and there appears to be no cutting or modification to the sheet metal or frame. My plan is to get it on the road again and then start the V12 rebuild project. I will drop the fuel tank and clean the lines and then start on the brakes. Can you recommend a vendor for Master, Slave rebuild kits and flex brake lines?

Earl Brown can supply all the brake repair kits. The master cylinder is the same as the '39 to '48 Ford/Merc so that kit or even a new master cylinder is easily available from any supplier of old Ford parts. The brake hoses (all three) are the same and they too are very close in size to the hoses used on the '39 to '48 Fords( front) and are readily available. The wheel cylinders are different but are of a standard design and readily available (NAPA) the fronts are 1-1/8" whlie the rears are 1". Mac's and Job lot are old Ford parts supplier.