Temperature Guage Suitable for 1931 Dodge Brothers DH

Guest 1931 Dodge Brothers DH

Guest DonHas1931

Since my Dodge did not come with a temperature gauge I purchased one locally over 20 years ago and attached the sender to a threaded hole in the head and it has worked well since - the gauge itself is attached to the bottom of the dashboard - my "problem" is that it does have the look of a 1930's gauge - has anyone found a gauge that might be a good replacement? Trust me, in the larger schemes of things this is not too crucial - just thought I would ask and hopefully be surprised at a response or two

If you have a comment please answer here in the FORUM or use my e-mail below

Don Lohr

dlohr@verizon.net

If you don't care about originality, you could try to find a set of instruments from a DG8. A little extending of the hole in the dash is basically all it may take. It would look very original and nobody would know except for me. LOL. Here is the DG8 cluster....temperature gauge on the far left.

post-37352-143138741677_thumb.jpg

Hi Don. If the '31 has an in-head thermal bulb with capillary tube style temperature gauge, then this may be helpful.

A magazine called "Skinned Knuckles" did a two part story on how to repair this style of gauge in their January and February 2010 issues (#402 & 403). See the link above, then check out the hot link at the bottom of that page to see how to order back issues.

If you know someone who gets this magazine, just check with them for copies. This article has some quite informative instructions concerning a detailed process. You end up with a new gauge bulb sensor grafted onto the old gauge face. This may be the trick for you!

Good luck! :)

If you car did not come with a temp gauge than maybe one of the aftermarket motometers that were at least period correct would suffice, these can be read from driving down the road just as easily and you would not have to cut up a pefectly good dash to install an item that does not belong there.

I can just see the discussions on this forum 30 years from now when we are all dead and buried about the guy with a 31 Dodge DH that swears his car originally came with a temp gauge from a different model car. :mad: ;)

I find that dash layout kind of interesting...design definitely trumps function.

I guess the passenger back then didn't "ride shotgun"...he/she "rode speedometer."!;)

I agree.....I always thought it odd that the speedometer was way over on the right side of the car.

Hi Don. If the '31 has an in-head thermal bulb with capillary tube style temperature gauge, then this may be helpful.

A magazine called "Skinned Knuckles" did a two part story on how to repair this style of gauge in their January and February 2010 issues (#402 & 403). See the link above, then check out the hot link at the bottom of that page to see how to order back issues.

If you know someone who gets this magazine, just check with them for copies. This article has some quite informative instructions concerning a detailed process. You end up with a new gauge bulb sensor grafted onto the old gauge face. This may be the trick for you!

Good luck! :)

And if you can't find that issue of Skinned Knuckles (or other older issues that had similar information) you can find it on my web site. 1933 Plymouth Temperature Gauge Repair

I agree.....I always thought it odd that the speedometer was way over on the right side of the car.

I think Chrysler went through a couple of year phase where they thought the dash had to be symmetrical regardless of the functionality.

John if some of the DHs had a temp gauge and Dons car is a DH ( which is stated in his original post ) than I guess he should be looking for a DH gauge instead of a DG-8 cylinder gauge ( which had by far a lower production figure than DH-6 Dodges and therefore might be harder to locate ) which is what you suggested in your first post in response.

If he wants to cut up the dash to install a gauge that evidently does not belong there in the first place than lets at least get a gauge that is correct for the vehicle albeit evidently not for his cars serial number range which I can only assume by your most recent response is where there may have been a difference.

That would be less confusing for everyone.

I guess that raises another question which would be of interest to me is if some DH cars had the gauge and some did not than were there two different dash units available for the car, one which accepted this gauge and one that did not.

DH-6 parts book does not list a temp gauge nor does it show two different dash units.

Edited by 1930 (see edit history)

John if some of the DHs had a temp gauge than I guess he should be looking for a DH gauge instead of a DG-8 cylinder gauge which is what you suggested in your first post in response

Jason....it's the very same unit. They are identical. Look at the photos closer. The hole in the dashboard was extended each way for those who ordered a "WATER"/temp gauge.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

The hole in the dashboard was extended each way for those who ordered a "WATER"/temp gauge.

John...I know they changed a lot of things half-way through 1931. When did Free-wheeling get added? Do you think that and a water temp gauge might have both been part of that "up-grade"?

I think Chrysler went through a couple of year phase where they thought the dash had to be symmetrical regardless of the functionality.

I think they had it worked out well by 1932.

post-61720-143138744844_thumb.jpg

Phil, I don't think it was as simple as an upgrade. I have an early DH and a late DH and that was not one of the changes. I believe the temp gauge was an option all through 1931 on the DH6s and came standard on the DG8s. I could, of course be wrong since I did not build them.

John...I know they changed a lot of things half-way through 1931. When did Free-wheeling get added? Do you think that and a water temp gauge might have both been part of that "up-grade"?

Phil, I have a confidential bulletin dated June 1931 which states free wheeling is now standrd equipment without additional charge on standard DD six convertible Standard DC Eight convertible Coupe and Standard DC Eight sedan.

Four days later another Confidential bulletin states that affective 7 days prior to the first bulletin issued that free-wheeling is available as optional equipment on both the New Dodge Six and the New Dodge Eight at 20.00 additional list price.

John, is it safe to assume ( by what I gather from your post above ) than that you early DH and your late DH do not have water temp gauge and the picture you show above is a photo you have taken at one time from another car?

According to what I have first DH serial number being 3518001 motor no 1001 built 11-19-1930. Last DH serial number 3557371 motor number 41772 billed as a 1932 model built 11-28 1931.

Model specific DH parts book ( same version you have and only version that either of us is aware of ) states affective Detroit built cars serial number 3,518,001 and up does not show a water temp gauge or any of the changes/parts necessary to incorporate a water temp. gauge.

So I guess again my question would be again is your thought that DH could have had a water temp gauge solely based on seeing DH vehicles in the past with them.

I would guess if that were the case than it is a strong possibility that they may have been added by owners of the vehicles at a later time or possibly by a dealer at the time with a paying customer.

............................................................I looked into this a bit further and was able to find my model specific DG parts book and yes there is a temp gauge as John mentioned and all the available parts needed are listed of course as well. Its part number is 312802. The book is dated Jan 20 1931 one month prior to the DH parts book at Feb 1931 which lists no temp gauge.

Having no other alternative but to go to the D.B master parts manual dated May 1934 I see that part no 312802 ( the DG temp gauge ) is a part number specific to DG only all models except 5 window coupe. I would assume that the 5 window gauge had again a different part number which means a different gauge but I did not bother to look into this.

There is a temp gauge listed for all DH models except roadster with a part number of 321996 which tells me it is not the same unit and not identical and which also tells me going by the part numbers that this was possibly a later dealer installed add-on. Possibly there is another confidential bulletin out there that states this fact but I have not seen it.

There are actually two different DH temp gauges avail as there is a .......Ok I see it now the DG 5 window coupe and the DH Roadster used this same different temp gauge at part number 321964.

So to sum it all up yes there was an available temp gauge avail for the DH vehicle but it prob. would have been a dealer add on but it was not the same gauge as the DG vehicle in this case at least but more than likely the changes were very minimal and those changes are prob. un-known by anyone still above ground.

Chances are pretty good that DonHas1931 does not gives a hoot about any of this but there are the facts. I still say go with a Motometer but I don't think you would be committing an act of un-forgivable treason if you were to try and find out exactly what the correct gauge would be for your car ( by talking with DG owners collecting needed facts and finding another DH car with a presumably dealer installed temp gauge and comparing differences ) and then installing the correct presumably dealer installed gauge.

Hows them Apples Cletus :D

There was no 5 window DG8. Being both business coupes, it is doubtful that the buyer would have ordered a temp gauge, so both of mine do not have one. The photo of the DH6 instrument cluster with the temp gauge is a roadster and the gauges are original to that car. I figured that the instrument clusters are the same for the DG8 and DH6 since they look identical. I did not delve into my parts book to find out if the gauges differed. It still amazes me that you think that the builders of these cars went "by the book" so to speak, when we all know that those were the years lots and lots of substitutions were made due to lack of some parts and over abundance of other parts. Oh....I don't wanna know about yer apples.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

If there was not a 5 window ( I don't know that ) than thanks for finding another error in the master parts book as it lists a DG 5 coupe which I am assuming is intended 5 window. I don't believe in any way shape or form that the builders of these cars went by the book when building these cars.

I have seen DA models that had differences that are not listed in any parts books time and time again.

With all these great discussions or topics exactly like this we all learn something, None of us would have known as much about temp. gauges for a DH unless we had all discussed it here so be happy with that. I hope we all learn a little more about the DH vehicle and obviousely since you do own them you would have the most knowedge on the top of your brain.

Edited by West Peterson (see edit history)

Guest DonHas1931
Since my Dodge did not come with a temperature gauge I purchased one locally over 20 years ago and attached the sender to a threaded hole in the head and it has worked well since - the gauge itself is attached to the bottom of the dashboard - my "problem" is that it does have the look of a 1930's gauge - has anyone found a gauge that might be a good replacement? Trust me, in the larger schemes of things this is not too crucial - just thought I would ask and hopefully be surprised at a response or two

If you have a comment please answer here in the FORUM or use my e-mail below

Don Lohr

dlohr@verizon.net

I have found that Auto Meter does sell two new temperature gauges (mechanical) that I am going to take a look at! Perhaps other members may want to do the same. I am so pleased with all the replies I had in regard to my original request for help in finding a more suitable looking (vintage) temperature gauge. (The first photo refers to Model 1832 and the 2nd refers to Model 1632)

post-43164-143138748095_thumb.jpg

post-43164-143138748098_thumb.jpg

Guest DonHas1931

My dash does have three centered square gauges (no temp gauge) - I have decided to go with auto meter 1832 which will replaced the other temp gauge I had installed 20 years ago - the main reason I want a gauge in the first place is I want to know if my engine is running too hot as it is happening - this 1832 will do the trick!

John, That grey car must have been a Hybrid. No need for keeping track of the gas apparently!

Yep.....the needle decided to fall off inside the gauge. Just an "also"...the backgrounds of the gauges were originally white, not cream colored. I believe that 1932 was the first cream colored background color.