Stuck wood wheel

MIClassicGirl

Anyone have a good trick to get a stuck wooden spoke wheel off of a victory six? Of course, the last one to be taken off doesn't want to come loose. Is there a puller that someone has made? Any ideas would be GREATLY appreciated! My husband is heating & cooling the metal right now & I'm afraid he'll burn the wood! :eek: We've also tried pounding the metal from both sides & have unhooked the brake lines. We also tried using the tightening bolts on the back side to loosen up the brake pads with no luck. HELP!! :(

You will need the correct size puller that looks similar to this...

Model T TT Truck excellent rear hub and wheel puller "Z" tool Ford script | eBay

It has to match your thread size in order to work. There is another post/thread about this with someone's homemade puller somewhere here on the Dodge forum.

You can try jacking up the car on the opposite side, putting the whole weight of the car on the stuck wheel. Put the axle nut back on, backwards so as not to damage it and also to protect the axle threads. Then hit the nut with a sledge hammer several tiomes and see if that works. Otherwise, the puller is an excellent option. You can use it so long as you own and work on that car. You still may need to smack the puller with the sledge hammer, and also may need to jack up the car as above. This sledge hammer trick works because there is always some end play in the axle.

JB - we did try the axle nut on backwards and hammered on it.... but didn't put the whole weight of the car on that wheel. No luck with that though. My husband has also tried heating & cooling which is what he would do with modern wheels.....again, with no luck. Even tried adding perafin wax on the axle after it was heated. Said he read in Popular Mechanics that was another trick to try. I'll let him know tonight to try putting the weight of the car on the wheel & then hammer on the axle and see what that does.

Mike - thanks for the thumbs up. Good to know someone else has gotten one from him & liked it. We may have to resort to that!

Thanks guys for all your input and suggestions. If we happen to get the darn thing off, I'll let you know what we ended up doing in case someone else needs another tip!

Shannon

Oh and a quick update......almost ready to pull the body off the chassis!! Just need to get enough people over to lift it & some place to store it! Making progress!! :)

Guest rbardin

Shannon I could ship my hub puller to you that I used to remove the wood wheels from my Victory 6. It has the proper size threads for the Dodge hubs. It is the best way to remove the wheels and not damage the car. If all else fails drop me note and I will send it to you but it will need to be returned.

I have been amazed more than once when I have tried loosening the nut and driving in a circle, reversing the nut and hammering on, etc., then I finally put a puller on it that threads on the hubcap threads and then while screwing the center bolt in on the puller (with my fingers) that the darn wheel comes right off without even putting a wrench too it! Right tool for the job I guess!

Dave, my husband talked of doing that, but we didn't try getting the car running because it hadn't been driving in over 20 years! He would have done that same thing! I was afraid if he tried starting the car, we would possibly ruin something internally in the motor. We're kinda of wishing now we should have tried, but oh well! Waiting for the loaner puller and see what happens! Who knows, we may go get a 4wheeler from the shop to tow it around & see if that works!!

Just when you thought you tightened it enough.....you didn't. Those wheels are known to be tough to remove. Just be certain you do not stand in front of it when it lets go. They can really fly off.