Opinions On POR15 Engine Paint?

Guest shadetree77

Guest shadetree77

Anybody tried this stuff? They have the correct color for my 52 but I would kind of like to hear some opinions of it before buying and pictures if possible. I've been reading through some threads on here involving engine paints from lots of different vendors (Bob's, CARS, Hirsch, etc.) and it seems like none of them are quite right as far as getting the right shade of turquoise. At least, that seems to be the consensus from what I'm reading. I don't have any original paint left on my engine to get a custom mix made so that option is out. Here's a picture of the paint chip sheet from the POR15 site. The one I'm looking at is in the top right corner.

post-75106-143138740845_thumb.jpg

I realize you didn't ask this, but nobody makes the correct early Nailhead paint (through 60, I believe). You have to get it mixed yourself OR deal with an incorrect shade, as I (and most other restorers) have done.

POR-15 makes other fine products, and I would imagine their engine paint is good as well.

I used POR 15 engine paint when I painted my last engine. It came to the correct Turquoise color and now has 5,000 miles on it and a few years. Still looks good and cleans up easily when the radiator gives up and sprays antifreeze all over the engine.

Lots more solids in the paint so you can give a couple of coats with a quart.

You want to spray it not brush it though.