Oil pan removal

materal

For the first time since I've owned my 40 sedan, I'm attempting to lower the oil pan and clean out the sludge. I figured it would be a fairly straightforward job and for the most part it is..all bolts out, including that pesky one on top of the starter. A few bangs and prys here and there and it broke lose and that's where it stopped as I can't get it down and out. Do I need to take off the exhaust cross member that goes under the pan? Thank you for your help in advance.

Yes Materal, You will have to drop the exhaust crossover, perhaps break loose the exhaust

pipe at cross over. I did 2 of these this pass summer, one with car on a lift and

one under ; car up on blocks. I found it easlier to break loose the 2 front

engine mounts , also. Remove the small button on top of the float rod,the float

will come out with pan. You did remove the oil, right?

Remove starter and small bracket at pan rail.I jacked

the engine up in the front about 1 1/2-- 2 inches; NO MORE! While your

at it drop the tie rod down .Now your ready to wiggle it out!

Have fun! I did the one on my'48 LC coupe in about 95 degrees!

Good Luck!

Larry Butcher

Guest V12Bill

If you get the front pistons at theier highest, that gets the big ends of the connecting rods out of the way of the pan as it wants to come back and down.

Thanks guys, I have some more work to do! I waited until the end of the driving season up here in Michigan to do the work and I'm glad I did because it might take me a little longer than I thought. Luckily I won't be doing it on a 95 degree day, more like in a 55 degree heated garage.

I did remember to drain the oil too! LOL!

You may also find that the radius rods will interfer. If this happens remove the ball cap that retains them and pry the radius rods down for more clearance. To avoid damage to the oil float while removing the pan I secure the float in the up position before removing/installing the pan.

• 3 months later...

In case anyone is interested, I did manage to complete my oil pan cleanout project. It took me longer than I thought but part of that time was trial and error in figuring out what I was doing. If I ever do it again it won't take me nearly as long. Anyway, it's all back together and I'm waiting for the spring to get the car out on the road again and have another season of driving enjoyment.