need a quick electrical answer

Guest another Ratman

Guest another Ratman

Can a 6vdc car clock be tested with a 9 volt battery if a 6 is not available. A seller on ebay has a clock and no 6vdc battery to test with, only a 9volt. I told him to hang on while I get a answer and don't do it till I get back to him. Thanks much....and happy Thanksgiving! Ratman

Guest Jim_Edwards

Given most all old automotive clocks were electric rewind mechanism and not motor driven momentary contact with a 9V battery will probably not hurt anything and will rewind the clock. Momentary meaning just touching the wires to the battery terminals for a fraction of a second.

A 6 volt car battery, fully charged, puts out 6.6V or a little more. With the engine running and the generator working, system voltage is at least 7.2.

So 9 volts is not much above the working voltage of the clock. If the 9 volt battery is a little worn down it may only have 8 volts or less anyway.

In other words, a 9 volt battery will not hurt the clock in the slightest if it is not shot to begin with.

Ply 33 hits the BINGO button. A battery charger is good test source. The rewind coil in the clock is a far cry from delicate electronics and a 1/4 second jolt from a 12 volt battery should not hurt it. Do be aware though. As with any piece of electrical gear a certain amount of smoke was put in it at the factory. This smoke is essential for satisfactory operation and if you let the smoke out it won't work so good................Bob

Guest Jim_Edwards
I wonder if a 9v "transistor battery" can source enough current to actually drive the clock mechanism...

Car clocks are usually electric rewind, which is to say there only has to be enough momentary current to excite a coil winding sufficiently to rewind the spring which will then drive the clock mechanism.

A successful rewind does not mean the clock will be functional. Old lubricant gets hard and gears fail to turn. If an old car clock doesn't work properly it probably just needs a cleaning and fresh lubricant. Even a Caveman could do it.;)

Guest Bob Call

To clean the clock works, put the works in an airtight container with a wad of cotton saturated with kerosene and let is sit for a couple of weeks. The kersoene vapor will soften and dissolve the old lube. Lube the works at each bearing or "jewel" point with a light lube like 3 In One oil with a pin or toothpick so each lube point gets only a fraction of a drop.

Guest another Ratman

Wow! I knew I would have a PHD's worth of information come back for this question. A heartfelt thanks for all the information. I will contact the seller and give it a try,. Thanks again everyone. Even Bhigdog helped with some little known factory info. I think the smoke is filtered through the double mutterer. God bless all and, LOOK TWICE, SAVE A LIFE. Ratman

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Dick Whittington
I have had trouble in the past in keeping the factory smoke encased in several devices.

Must be Lucas as anything equipped with Lucas components has a terrible time trying to keep the smoke from escaping all the wiring and components

Guest another Ratman

Once again thanks for the chuckles and great answers. As a M.G. owner I know all about the Lucas smoke. By the way roadside shoulder gravel/dirt is not very effective in containing Lucas smoke either, even a couple of inches won't do it. I swear it was my buddy Bear that tried that one. (name changed to protect the panic stricken) Ratman (still lookin for another '50 Saratoga!)

• 2 weeks later...