Sign in to follow this  
garyd57olds

HPOF AACA Original Question

I agree.

Thank you for your empathy. What I need is something official.

D.

How would a judge even know there was any repainting unless you told hem?

I think anyone that knows body and paint, has a firm grasp of cars and certainly a judge would be able to tell. I can even see it in a picture I have of my car.....and you know how forgiving pictures can be. In this particular picture the sun hits just right and really does the job on the drivers door.

http://www.pismoderelicts.com/photogallery/new%20format%20830/images/p1080790.jpg

This picture of the rt side on a cloudy day makes the resprayed rt ft door look ok, but it's color is off in bright sunlight...It's identical to the left doors hue.

http://www.pismoderelicts.com/photogallery/new%20format%20832/images/img_0124.jpg

When I have entered the car in OCA shows I have to carry a letter from the chief judge of OCA that explains the paint to the judges on the ground. I install my original wheels and wheel covers for a OCA event, just in case you were wondering.

D.

Edited by helfen (see edit history)

I think anyone that knows body and paint, has a firm grasp of cars and certainly a judge would be able to tell".

Well that certainly leaves me out.

Helfen,

Do you still have your copy of the orginial order form when you frist order the car.If so this should be prof that you did order the car the said way.And yes it was spray so you would accept the purchase. If above is true one could just show the Bill of order and act dumb on why the panels are faded.

Vern

Helfen,

Do you still have your copy of the orginial order form when you frist order the car.If so this should be prof that you did order the car the said way.And yes it was spray so you would accept the purchase. If above is true one could just show the Bill of order and act dumb on why the panels are faded.

Vern

I have the work up sheet, the order form, and the sales contract. The order form is before delivery and obviously would say nothing about paint because the car wasn't made yet. I would not sign the sales contract until the body and paint were corrected. There was no written order or refusal of the car signed by me, just a verbal from me that I would pick up the car when the car was repaired and ready. There is nothing in the sales contract that states the car had to be repaired before delivery.

I could act dumb as you say, but the only fool on the show field would be me because as I said before it's obvious the paint does not match. It's better to tell the truth about why it is the way it is.

D.

I have the work up sheet, the order form, and the sales contract. The order form is before delivery and obviously would say nothing about paint because the car wasn't made yet. I would not sign the sales contract until the body and paint were corrected. There was no written order or refusal of the car signed by me, just a verbal from me that I would pick up the car when the car was repaired and ready. There is nothing in the sales contract that states the car had to be repaired before delivery.

I could act dumb as you say, but the only fool on the show field would be me because as I said before it's obvious the paint does not match. It's better to tell the truth about why it is the way it is.

D.

Question. Is the dealership where you purchased the car still in business?

Question. Is the dealership where you purchased the car still in business?

No Susan, this dealer went out of business somewhere in the late 70's. Not surprising because the dealer had many lawsuits because of bad business and customer relations...... Like when I pointed out the sand and bubbles in the hood, and the dents in the two ft doors of my car and said they would have to fix those things before I finalized the deal ,,, and the salesman and the sales manager said to me " what do you expect, a Rolls Royce"? I said to my wife, well their going to know in time that this sort of attitude and poor product quality will spell the end of the easy days for domestic's:(. I had already been working for a importer for three years ( and since the mid eighties they are a manufacturer here ) and retired from after thirty four years, I thought I would give Olds-GM a chance. That was the LAST GM car we ever bought. Like I said before, at the company I worked for the car would have never made it out the factory door. On the other side of the metal, mechanically speaking the car is one of the best I've ever owned. What car do you know of that still has it's original fuel pump,P/S pump, alternator, rear brake shoes, carburetor-(never rebuilt)air pump,--Engine, trans,rear end--never been apart all with over 110,000 miles!! :)

D.

No Susan, this dealer went out of business somewhere in the late 70's. Not surprising because the dealer had many lawsuits because of bad business and customer relations...... Like when I pointed out the sand and bubbles in the hood, and the dents in the two ft doors of my car and said they would have to fix those things before I finalized the deal ,,, and the salesman and the sales manager said to me " what do you expect, a Rolls Royce"? I said to my wife, well their going to know in time that this sort of attitude and poor product quality will spell the end of the easy days for domestic's:(. I had already been working for a importer for three years ( and since the mid eighties they are a manufacturer here ) and retired from after thirty four years, I thought I would give Olds-GM a chance. That was the GM car we ever bought. Like I said before, at the company I worked for the car would have never made it out the factory door. On the other side of the metal, mechanically speaking the car is one of the best I've ever owned. What car do you know of that still has it's original fuel pump,P/S pump, alternator, rear brake shoes, carburetor-(never rebuilt)air pump,--Engine, trans,rear end--never been apart all with over 110,000 miles!! :)

D.

Not sure that I know of any but there probably are a few.

I was hoping that they were still in business and might somehwere have a time card log to show who it was that did the painting on it. At least that would be documentation from them.

We had a deal to buy a Subaru Legacy wagon several years ago but it fell through because they were all wheel drive by then and can't be towed flat or on a tow dolly. It had had to be fixed like your car was because in a wind storm a portable sign had blown over into one of the rear doors and damaged it. They had fixed it and it didn't look any different than the rest of the car. But we saw it no more than a week after it had been fixed. Not sure what it would have looked like as many years down the road as your car is.

Does a repaint of a body / parts prior to the delivery of the car to the original owner count as original?? The factory authorizes such things by empowering the dealer to act as a agent of the factory in such cases before delivery. Some customers like myself special ordered a car and would not take delivery until repairs be made before delivery. There was no paperwork given to me as a customer because I had not taken delivery until after the respray of some body parts. Would you trust a original owners word in such cases.

D.

Back to the un-answered question too.

D.

helfen,

Since this is an AACA forum, I'm assuming you wish to have your car certified as AACA HPOF and then HPOF Original. You should disclose on the judging form exactly what you have discussed in this forum along with the documentation you have including the decision of the Olds club to the judging team. They are the ones who will make the decison on if your car qualifies as HPOF or not. I think your chances are good. Go for it!