'25 Dodge Bros. snubbers

Steve Suttle

Well, they may be accessories, but I'll tell you the front mounts look like a factory application to me. I'll post a photo later this evening.

Also, although the shop manual says nothing about shocks, there is one exploded view of the rear axle that has what look like the canvass straps trailing off the axle.

I'm going to pull the rear shocks off this week and get a photo of those as well.

I have a set of 4 shocks (snubbers) from a 27 DB coupe that I will be using on my 27 124 Roadster. I drive my DB's on some seriously rough roads (that is a very loose term for some of the cow trails we frequent!) and the thing I have noticed is the rear REALLY needs shocks and the front just doesn't seem to need them at all. Rear springs are much longer and because it is the drive axle the tires make and break traction which amplifies the wheel hop. I have been tempted to hide a pair of tube shocks in front of the rear axle to combat this problem. I am afraid I am going to break an axle or ring and pinion sometimes. Plus, just think how much fun it would be to power slide those corners!!

The rear snubbers look like cookie tin and have canvass straps that attach to the springs with a similar bracket as the one shown on the front.

I, too, have trouble with bumps and rough surfaces especially when cornering.

The rear axle tends to swing out as I go around a sharp corner.

Pretty exciting.

I am going to pull the rear snubbers and see if I can use them on the front and then look for another pair for the rear.

I found an outfit in Calif who states that they rebuild these. We'll see ...

As for originality, I wonder if DB offered these a dealer installed accessory?

Does anyone out there have the accessories book?

BTW - linoleum installed on the running boards. Looks pretty sharp, too.

Someone give me guidance on proper wheel colors for a standard late '24 116 roadster.

Please

If you're looking just for the snubber belt Restoration Specialties (814-467-9842) has a large selection of sizes. Be sure to ask for snubber as it looks similar to regular cloth hood lacing but thicker and the weave is different. Happy motorin' Jim

My reference to Model A shocks was to the shape, not the way they work.

Again, these are shaped like a cookie tin, somewhat larger than a Ford shock.

It's also curious that the front ones are attached to the bumper braces.

So I would surmise that the bumpers and snubbers were attached by the dealer aftermarket. At least that make the most sense.

You got me, Mike. It must be a matter of tension.

I'll be interested to see if they improve the ride at all once they're rebuilt.

Like everything else in the history of automotive engineering, it's a progression.

Who would have thought anyone would ever improve on the 2 cylinder horizontally opposed Oldsmobile engines of 1901? There were front wheel drive cars built in the 1920s and 30s, but it wasn't until the 60s and 70s that the Mini, VW Rabbit and other front drive cars became common.

Now that's all there is, practically.

Snubbers were probably better than nothing. Shocks are better than snubbers, Struts are better than shocks.

I do hope to be at the centennial celebration. I don't know if I'd be able to bring my car all the way up there, but I'll look into it.

I also hope that FIAT hasn't killed off the Dodge marque by then.

It concerns me that Graham Bros., Dodge, and Fargo trucks have dissolved all the way into just "Ram. "

With Plymouth gone, is Dodge far behind? Let's hope not.

• 2 weeks later...