Progress revisited...

Guest De Soto Frank

Guest De Soto Frank

Goodness!<P>Such a topic!<P>Regarding driving habits, vehicle choices, and general deterioration of Society, I guess there were enough motorists (and buggy drivers!) from years ago who were aggravated by some "road-hog" in a Packard or Pierce or other large car that just had to get around those "pokey" Fords & Overlands!<P>I must also admit to owning a 4WD; although it's probably better described as an "RUV": Rural (or Retired) Utility Vehicle - a 1960 Willys 6-226 Utility truck.<BR>Stock, I might add... no V-8; no "super-swampers"; no "lift kit". <BR>Just an old, slow, "bio-degrading" Jeep-type thing.<BR>I am grateful that the original purchaser optioned the heater!<BR>Shore ain't no cell-phone equipped "plush-buggy"!<P>I think that part of the reason SUV drivers provoke ill-will amongst us is that the antics we see from them are a general manifestation of trends in society: more & more people are in a huge hurry (to get... where?)and everyone else is "just in their way", so rudeness is justified, etc.<P>But I think we're a lot more likely to remember the person in the Excursion (or Semi) that "cuts us off" than if someone in a subcompact did the same thing.<P>I feel especially bad for folks like Ply33, who had their antique damaged because some "entitled person" had a stiff neck and couldn't look back over their shoulder or check their "spot" mirror to see if the way was clear. Worse yet, the miscreant drives off! What did he think that "bump" was, a squirrel going under the wheels?!<P>Traffic Control Devices (Stop lights, Stop Signs, Yields, Merges etc,) also apparently hold little meaning to most motorists.<P>I guess that makes it even more important to be ever-vigilant and defensive drivers ourselves!<P>(BTW, it's nice to see where I'm going at night! wink.gif" border="0 )