Great stuff

414TATA

Just a follow up on a question I had regarding opinions on the best wax for the original paint on my 1941.

Appreciate the feed back. Grant Magrath of NZ suggested Turtle wax ColorCure.

As it turned out I think here on the West Coast it is sold under the Name

ColorMagic. Funny because the auto parts store said they never heard of Color Cure but had Color Magic. When I looked at the receipt, it rang up as ColorCure.:) But no where on the bottle did it indicate ColorCure?

What ever, it works great and I am very pleased with the results.:D

Thanks again

Wayne

1941 Buick Super 50

post-78086-143138736769_thumb.jpg

post-78086-143138736801_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Wayne,

If you do a search of the forums, I asked the same question, and got all kinds of info.

I tried the Turtle wax (black), Maquires, Xymol, and on and on. Wasn't too happy w/ the results.

I finally "claybarred" the car with Mothers kit, and waxed it w/ Walmart's Nu Finish, which I thought was the best product of all (also the least expensive).

This on my '40 LTD which has a 10 year old repaint and no clearcoat.

Just my $ .02

Mike in Colorado

Edited by FLYER15015
spelling (see edit history)

Guest outlaw car man

Mike,

Good call on using clay, I use Griot's clay & Speed Shine ! Nobody seems to talk about clay, whatever brand you like. I tend to have black cars, so it's good to deep clean first.

I don't do it all the time, ( effort) but try once every two years to clay them.

Simoniz is my finish product, but may be moving into paste wax, soon.

Was good seeing you again the other week, got to fire up the 90 & hear the Buick purrrrrrr. Interesting talk with you & your buddy that can reproduce parts-

AMAZING !!!

Sandy

scan is just after a clay/wax couple years ago.

post-54015-143138751244_thumb.jpg

I wouldn't mind clay barring the Dodge at some stage. Might lift the 31 year old paint!

Cheers

Grant

Grant,

I don't know what brand products, you have down under, but Sandy uses Griot's and I use Mothers claybar system, and I can assure you it will not harm the paint. I ran my hand over the top/hood/fenders when I first bought the baby and I swear it felt like 600 grit sand paper. I waxed it and it still felt rough.

When I took it to Mike Gunderman's Autobody In Salida, Colorado for appraisal (for the insurance ), he sugguested I claybar the car. In fact Mike did a bit on the hood (bonnet) and I was amazed. Felt like glass....

The secret, if there is one, is to keep the surface wet and refold the clay bar every 2 sq ft patch, which is all you want to do at a time. Any more and the liquid wax tends to dry out, and the bar will "drag". Not good...

Best Regards,

Mike in Colorado

:P:p:p

Guest Grant Magrath

Thanks Mike.

Haven't heard of Griots, but we have Mothers, and quite a few of the brands you guys have. As I said, the paint on the Dodge is 31 years old, and of all the cars we have, is the one that would benefit the most from the clay bar. Guess what my father's getting for Christmas???!!!

Cheers

Grant

Grant / Sandy

Now that we have completely taken over this thread ( 'cause Wayne seems to have vanished), What's this Grant about a Christmas present for dad ?

Are you going to buy him the "stuff" or are you going to treat him to a complete claybar job done by you ? Boy, that would be a fine feather in your cap.

Mike in Colorado

Guest Grant Magrath

Ha ha!

Believe it or not, I've just got off the phone to him about clay bars. He doesn't understand what they do, and so is a bit skeptical. It's the old dog - new tricks scenario I think!

As for Wayne, he's probably doing what we all wish we were doing. Enjoying our cars!

Cheers

Grant