Sign in to follow this  
ShawnLancaster

Craigslist Peerless Sedan and Coupe

On my way home from the AACA Annual Meeting, I stopped in the Columbus area to visit with a "young" lady named Shirley, and her husband. They showed me two Peerless in their collection, one was a 1916 Cloverleaf V-8, and the other was a mid-'20s coupe, both in show condition. She'll be showing the Cloverleaf, hopefully it'll be finished, in AACA events this year.

Guest BJM
On my way home from the AACA Annual Meeting, I stopped in the Columbus area to visit with a "young" lady named Shirley, and her husband. They showed me two Peerless in their collection, one was a 1916 Cloverleaf V-8, and the other was a mid-'20s coupe, both in show condition. She'll be showing the Cloverleaf, hopefully it'll be finished, in AACA events this year.

Jeff,

Know of these cars or can they be added to the Registry?

Nice catch West. I have had the privilege of viewing 2 V8 Peerless' in a local collection and they are artifacts rarely seen and it's a great honor and privilege for sure. While I am sure you see many more old cars then I, it's kind of equivalent (to me) of viewing the Mona Lisa or some rare art. One sort of looks at the details and architecture with more discernment then say a 60's musclecar.

She mentioned another Peerless in the Columbus area, too, but I can't remember what year she told me it was. I hope to get back there again when the weather warms up, so I can photograph a few of her cars to go along with Jeff's Peerless History series he's working on for us.

West,

Your mention of a Peerless Cloverleaf V-8 near Columbus, Ohio reminds me of a couple of things. Peerless cars of this body style are usually described as Cloverleaf Roadsters, despite having 4 doors, but The Green Dragon tells me they're best described as Close-Coupled Touring Cars. I guess officially, a Cloverleaf Roadster has 2 doors and a pass-through between the front seats allowing access to the rear -- a style used by other carmakers like Apperson, Marmon and Pathfinder.

That being said, they were extremely stylish and advanced cars and only 3 exist on the planet, a green restored 1917, a blue restored 1920, and the HPOF candidate 1920 Bryan saw in Iowa 4 years ago [photo on "Peerless Visit Forthcoming" thread from 2008]. When John Deshay owned the blue one he described it as "America's first muscle car" because of the dual exhausts, 332 V-8 and 4-barrel carburetor.

----Jeff

P.S. Personally, I like the Cloverleaf Roadster name for these cars....despite the fact they have 4 doors and seat 4 or 5.

P.P.S.: When I say things like "only 3 exist", "I only know of one 1906 Peerless" and "319 Peerlesses survive", it's just an educated guess. I think a lot of unknown cars are still out there and would love to have people write-in and say:"You're a complete dunderhead, I've got a 1900 Peerless 1-cyl., a 1902 Peerless 2-cyl., three 1906 Peerless 4-cyl. and a 1931 Peerless 12-cyl. in my private collection that you don't know anything about!". With thousands of them made, there have to be more Peerless trucks out there than 8.

Edited by jeff_a
Corrected short-coupled to close-coupled. (see edit history)

I dunno (didn't know) the proper description for Cloverleaf on this particular Peerless. I had thought that the front seats were supposed to be split, too, so I asked. He said that was what Peerless called it, and I left it at that. It was a much, much larger Peerless than I'm used to seeing.

West,

Have you seen any of the 48-Six and 60-Six Peerless cars from 1912-14? I'll try to post a photo of a 48-Six Wayne Burgess took on the 2009 AACA Western Tour. In it, the people look rather small in comparison to the car!

This 1913 Peerless won a First in Class at Pebble Beach in 2010. It's the smaller of the two models*. The larger car with the 825 cubic inch engine (a record** for production cars) is represented by the big green 1914 Peerless at the Crawford Auto-Aviation Museum in Cleveland.

---Jeff

* with a 578 c.i.d. engine

**2000 Guinness Book of World Records, c.i.d. matched, but not exceeded by 2 other firms

Photo by R.W. Burgess from Sonoma AACA Western Tour, 2009

post-49853-143138872206_thumb.jpg

Edited by jeff_a
corrected date (see edit history)

There were several different Models of Peerless between 1917 & 1920 that is confusing.

the cloverleaf roadster was listed as a three passenger, but they also had a four passenger roadster with two doors and isle between the front seats and in 1919 or 20 the four passenger roadster had four doors. Then that was replaced by a six passenger touring. They were making the 7 passenger touring and other sedans through this same time period. The four door roadster was sometimes referred to as a close couple touring.

RHL

Hi Brian,

I just caught up to this old post regarding your 1929 Peerless Six-81. My husband, Brando is restoring a 1929 Peerless Six-81. I was wondering if you had any current photos of the interior and/or exterior of your car. By any chance will you be up at Hershey this year (2014).

Hi Brando & Joanne,

Sometimes tracking owners of cars is hard here on the Peerless Forum. In this case, this blue Peerless 6-81 with dual rear spares Brian did own now belongs to Thomas Wallace of Ohio: since April, 2013. The car is no. 276 on KPAIE right now and you can find more contact data there. Tom uses the display name "tomwallace" here and was on a thread on the Peerless Forum called "29 Peerless FS" last posted on 5/18/13.

_ _ _ _ You might also look at the last post in "Peerless For Sale Dept."(abut 9/11/14) with mention of a '29 Peerless Six-81 that just came up for sale 2 days ago. There's a related you tube video with shots of the door hardware _ _ _ _

----Jeff

Edited by jeff_a
more info (see edit history)

Thank you Jeff! You are a treasure trove of information! Can you please download your knowledge and email the disc to me asap... I need your brain :-)

I just ordered a couple of books you recommended. Is the KPAIE updated? If so, could you email it (in lieu of your brain!) Thanks! By the way, we are desperately seeking a 19" snap ring for the spare wheel (steel disc wheels). Don Bettes doesn't have, and Ralph's phone goes to fax tone, and he did not answer my fax.

Hi Brando & Joanne,

Glad to hear something I sent you was helpful. Makes me feel like the Randy Ema of Peerless Cars. I'm not as knowledgeable, I don't make a living at it, and Duesenberg isn't as rare an automobile. I finally got to meet Randy at Bakerfield this year. David Baird and I were running the Peerless Motor Car Club booth at this HCCA Swap Meet and and he stopped by. Was the data I sent on model numbers and engines helpful in sorting out those 4 Peerlesses you have, or were you so on top of it you just needed confirmation? The difference between a '29 6-61 and a 6-81, for instance, is pretty hard to spot, unless one looks at the instrument panels, wheels, tires, engines, serial number plates, hoods and price.

Don't know where to get 19" snap rings. A Montana restorer I know has been in communication with Ralph Cartonio a lot regarding those big Continental straight eights and says he has moved. Saw on your site a picture of Dimmitt Motors. Did you ever find anything out about this Peerless Dealer down Florida way that's still in business? Also saw you have an area called Known Peerless Automobiles In Existence on your site. That part won't open (computer says "File cannot be opened.")and was curious what's there. Is there a description of KPAIE? Re: KPAIE, it's not perfect, but I update it a hundred times a year.

Thank you,

Jeff

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)

I just went over to my favorite antique car junkyard half an hour ago and looked into finding a snap ring. Many are there, but I would need to know the application, serial number, measurements, and snap ring maker before it's worth looking. Maybe a photo, too. Good chance I'll come up with one armed with that data....I found a spare rim for my 1928 Six-80 there after removing a rim from my car, bringing it with me, and sorting through the pile for 3 hours while dragging the 40-lb. rim and tire all over creation.