1923 Studebaker Light SIX Wheel Color?

Guest GoldenAge

Guest GoldenAge

Hi Guys,

I am working on a frame off redo of a 1923 Light Six EM Touring. The problem I am having is finding information about the wheels. The brochures show the ealier wheels with the 32 x 4 tire, lighter spoke, and eight bolt hub. The EM has 31 x 4 wheels, 12 bolt hubs,and a slightly thicker spoke. The question is what color were the spokes from the factory? The earlier car they were painted but I am not sure on the 1923 EM and up. Currently they are varnished but I am at the point where I need to make a decision. Help please!

Unfortunately I don't have a 1923 brochure so can only show this page 26 from the 1922 brochure with body and wheel colors listed near bottom for touring models.

Stude8

post-31139-143138735237_thumb.jpg

My understanding is that the wood spoked wheels were painted black but accented with red pinstriping (the only color on the body other than black).

Scott

According to my parts manual, the 1923 Light Six was avalable with wheels using either an 8 or 12 hub bolt design (p/n's 120015 and 120527 respectively for fronts and 120918 and 120533 respectively for rears). It shows a 30"x 3-1/2" wheel (23" rim), but the 31"x 4" would also fit. My '23 Light Six has disc wheels and also shows a 30"x 3-1/2" wheel but my car has 32"x 4-1/2" wheels on it now. Have a number of spare parts if you're missing something.

Scott

smrdeza@power-net.net

Guest GoldenAge

Thank you Gentleman,

The informations is great and I appreciate how fast you all responded. Looks like black it is!

I am also looking for a better set of hub caps for this car if anyone has any leads.

Thanks again,

Paul

I have a few caps in varying states. Most of the best ones I have already sold but I still have a few. I still have the 2nd, 4th and 5th from the left in the photos. If you are looking for reproductions, you can try

Vintageand Classic Reproductions - Studebaker Parts

Scott

smrdeza@power-net.net

post-66547-143138742007_thumb.jpg

post-66547-143138742015_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest GoldenAge

Thanks again for the help. Below is a picture of the first finished wheel. It was hours of wet sanding on the spokes to get them looking new again. The pinstriping has yet to be added to the spokes.

Paul

finishedstudewheel.jpg

Paul,

Wheel looks great - all that effort paid off nicely. I have disc wheels on my '23 so so my painting task is a lot easier than yours. I started with the engine and just finished the frame.

Scott

post-66547-143138758544_thumb.jpg