Did the 425 come with a 2 barrel carb

Guest kiwi56r

Guest kiwi56r

I've been offered a 425 ( alledgedly) that has a 2 barrel carb, did they ever come out with just a 2 barrel?? Casting number on the back of the block is 1364706 and on the heads it has B1196914J. Help guys

Chris

Guest kiwi56r

This is definatly a Nailhead engine. Yeah the 2 barrel on a 425 is not something I've heard of but they did some funny things back then.....

Unless there was a industrial version, the 425 never came with a 2 bbl carb in a Buick from the factory. It's probably possible to take a Wildcat 375 or 410 401 2bbl intake and install it on a 425.

Are you absolutely sure it's a 425? What's the production code number at the front of the engine below the T-stat housing?

Checking the carb and distributor numbers should nail it down, so to speak, as to which Buick V-8 they're from or is in the car. Otherwise, casting numbers and possibly cast-in date codes could do it.

I know that Pontiac and Chevy used the "big" Rochester 2bbl carb, with 1.69" throttle bores, but have never known of Buicks to use that larger carb. The one on the 401s was probably the mid-size 1.56" throttle bore 2bbl, which is similar in size to what Chrysler used on their 383 and 400 cid V-8s.

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

The ’63 model year did offer a 425 with the introduction of the Wildcat 465, a 340hp 425 ci, available as an upgrade for the first-year Riviera. It shared the 401’s steel crank, but was punched out to a larger bore (4.31 inches versus the 401’s 4.19-inch bore).

Never heard of a 425 with as two barrel. I don't know if the LeSabre had them.

The last year for the 364 was 1961. The best way to identify a 1959 and later nailhead is by the engine production code. As mentioned above, the engine production code is stamped upside down (when at the front of the car looking towards the rear) on the right side (passenger side) of the engine on the top of the engine block just in front of the valley pan and the engine serial number is stamped on the left side. A list of engine production codes can be found here:

V8Buick.com - View Single Post - How you tell the difference bet. a 401 or 425

According to my Motors Manual if the 425 did come with a 2bbl it had to be with a manual trans in 1963. According to my Chilton's the 425 came with a 2bbl in 1964 code KX. 4bbl version should have carried a KW code. I trust Motors more than Chiltons, but to be honest I find it hard to believe a 2bbl on this engine ever existed.

Guest Kingoftheroad
The 401 was available with 2bbl when it was first introduced and was available for a few years afterward. I think export versions came with the 2bbl as well.

Thanks Bleach, Didn't know that, I only know of the 4 bbls on the 401s & 425. I know I've seen smaller carbs on the older nailheads.