New Hupmobile Owner

Guest curtmacd

Guest curtmacd

Hey folks, I just bought a 1930 model S which I found in a barn in north Texas. The car appears to be in remarkable condition. It's been kept out of the weather and sun since 1957. I'm anxious to get started on it and was told that it was running in 1988. The head was pulled and the cylinders oiled down and the head placed back on top of the motor. I am a shop manager for a school district and pretty well know my way around cars. My first plan is to clean the fuel system and oil system, then try to give her a start. The absolute only rust that I can find on the car, looks to be in the running boards which I will replace or fabricate. It has the original upholstery and the wood is in great shape, plus, there appears to be a complete set of wood from another car inside? This will be a learning process for sure, but I think the Hupmobile will be a great car to restore. I will have lots of questions, so please be patient with me. Curtis

The first thing you need to do is to go to the following web page to join the HUPMOBILE CLUB.

Hupmobile Club

The club prints 4 issues of the "PARTS LOCATOR" a year providing you access to parts available for sale and you can post items you want to buy. They will mail it to you but it comes much quicker by email.

They also print a very nice quarterly magazine.

Additionally, as a member you have access to experts in the club and a membership roster of names, address, and what model and year cars.

Additionally, the club has a meet each in various locations around the country. This year the rally was in Reno, in 2010 in was in north central Pa, in 2009 in was in VT. Next year the rally be in INGERSOLL, ONTARIO, CANADA JULY 9 THRU 13, 2012. About 35 to 40 percent come without a car and ride with other members. Plan to attend and if you get the car running and can get it there, the members will be all over your car. The is no need to paint or install a new interior unless that is your desire.

Happy hupping.

Welcome Curtis- I know what it is like to bring her home in boxes! Just getting back into the '16 N after a few years of inactivity and it came home in two truck loads and a trailer. And YES, the missing parts always show up first I think..... mine started with the spindles when I tried to tackle the front axle first.

Guest curtmacd

I will definitely join the club and post a few pics this weekend. This is the exciting time when you have the car, but you haven't had enough time to go through all the boxes inside yet! This is a very complete car with boxes after boxes of collected stuff over the past 50 years. There is no telling what is inside! This is my Christmas for sure! Lots of those little swiss miss containers in each box.........I can't hardly focus on WORK! Have you guys ever been there?

Congrats on an unusual car. If you have not seen this thread yet, you probably want to go over it in detail, and contact this gent who is pretty active on this forum:

http://forums.aaca.org/f190/1929-hupmobile-project-246532.html

In terms of losing focus on work, yes, been there.... :D

Welcome Curtis, As a charter member of the Hupp Club and owner of 17 Hupps in various stages of completeness, you will not be disappointed in buying a Hupmobile. Your S model was made in the Cleveland plant which was the old Chandler Car Company. You will find when you get your 6 cyl. running that the power & torque is very adequate for the body size. Ask anything you need to know and I am sure that someone will have the answer. Huppingly Yours, The N.H. Hupp Nutt

• 2 weeks later...
Guest curtmacd

These are a few pics of my car. I have not had much time yet to spend much time with her. This car has been stored inside since 1957 and the motor actually turns over. The previous owner said that she started it each year until 2007. I will have lote of questions while trying to decide how far to take the restoration. It is VERY complete. More news to come.

post-80819-143138743812_thumb.jpg

post-80819-143138743815_thumb.jpg

post-80819-143138743819_thumb.jpg

post-80819-143138743823_thumb.jpg

post-80819-143138743828_thumb.jpg

Thought you may like to see the other 2 types of wheels that could have come on your car. Good original cars are few and far between. Take the dust off and you may be pleasantly surprised. I should note that the wood wheel shone is a1931 and the hub cap has a larger dia. than the 1929 & 30 models.

post-60296-143138744088_thumb.jpg

Edited by Hupp36
Added info (see edit history)

Guest curtmacd

Thank you for the wheel options! Being new at this, I have much to learn but I am in it for the long haul. The two areas that will need immediate attention will be replacing the roof material and finding a way to replicate the running boards. The absolute only rust in the car is on the flat surfaces of each running board. This coming Spring, I will get started in full force. Christmas always puts a damper on my toys! LOL As strange as it may sound, the original seat material is still in pretty nice shape. I will have to replace the interior side wall material as time allows.

Nice car. Very smart to sit tight until spring to save a little and familliarize yourself with the car as well. My offhand guess is it is a very old repaint, and for some reason someone changed the wheels but if you were to find it is original you may want to reconsider restoration especially if it cleans up well.

Good luck with it!

Guest curtmacd

I like the natural look better, on the wheels, however the red is not bad at all if it is original. I don't believe that I am capable of a concours restoration, or even want to attempt one, so my big question is how much of a crime would it be to change the upper body color if I simply want a weekend driver? I have a deep appreciation for originality, but an upper body color change would be desireable if it wouldn't really hurt the car? On the other hand, if the car was black with red wheels, that may be the way to go?? Kinda torn about this. Now is the time to formulate some plans and I want to set some things in stone up front.

Curtis,

As a life member of the Hupp club, I also recommend that you join the club. It was a great source of information,parts and support while I worked on the '31 sedan I had.

Your find looks like a real treasure and makes me again wish I had not sold my Hupp. Although I still look for another or even to regain the one I sold. Unfortunately I missed it when it showed up for sale awhile back.

Best wishes with your restoration,

Loren

Curtis About the color you would like on your car. I painted my friends 1929 Hupp A the same color as his Ford sport coupe only in reverse because he liked the color of the Ford so well. Also I have a 1936 Hupp 621-N that the gentelman that owned it before me painted it off white. Its original color was clay rust, the color of a brick.

post-60296-143138751974_thumb.jpg

post-60296-143138751983_thumb.jpg

If you want a weekend driver and are not 100% sure what you want to do paint wise why not take the winter to service the car up, and clean up the paint that's on there, and enjoy it next season while you ponder colors as well as what level of refurbishment or restoration you want to do. Heck, its been that way this long, what's one more year? :)

I have always found mechanical decisions are easy, you need a safe, dependable car it's the cosmtics that sometimes take planning and pondering...

Guest curtmacd

Yes, I certainly have time on my side regarding a paint decision. My preference would include a black lower scheme with a possible dark green or maroon upper section. I just don't want to hurt the car. I would never cut it or modify it, but I will be thinking about a color selection over the winter months.

Getting her running and stopping is my first priority. The cylinder head bolts are loose and appears to have been welded at one time? I'm curious how difficult it will be to find a good head?? They apparently had some sort of an issue with the head. I will pull it off and examine the extent of the damage and attempted repairs. A little bit in the dark, due to the fact that the previous owner passed away recently.

• 3 months later...
Guest Midnitauto.net
Yes, I certainly have time on my side regarding a paint decision. My preference would include a black lower scheme with a possible dark green or maroon upper section. I just don't want to hurt the car. I would never cut it or modify it, but I will be thinking about a color selection over the winter months.

Getting her running and stopping is my first priority. The cylinder head bolts are loose and appears to have been welded at one time? I'm curious how difficult it will be to find a good head?? They apparently had some sort of an issue with the head. I will pull it off and examine the extent of the damage and attempted repairs. A little bit in the dark, due to the fact that the previous owner passed away recently.

Well winter is over lets see what you got done this year...:cool:

I just got a new Hupp so I am here to join the fray

Guest curtmacd

I have done abolutely nothing over the winter except remove the head and take it to my machinist to determine if it could be saved. Unfortunately, it's beyond repair and I am having a very difficult time trying to locate one that is available for my 1930 six cylinder S model. Until I resolve this problem, I won't be making any decisions on paint or possible modifications. I would absolutely HATE to change anything that is not original but I may be forced to if I can't locate another head this year. :confused:

• 4 months later...
Guest curtmacd

Well, found a very good head in Redding. CA.. Checked out perfect, however, I need to find some new freeze plugs for it before I put it on the engine. I picked up a new head gasket from Olsen's. This engine was running, except for the leaking weld on the old head. I have high expectations. Reworking the brakes will be the next challenge. I want to drive this car in it's original condition once it is road wo

rthy!

Well, found a very good head in Redding. CA.. Checked out perfect, however, I need to find some new freeze plugs for it before I put it on the engine. I picked up a new head gasket from Olsen's. This engine was running, except for the leaking weld on the old head. I have high expectations. Reworking the brakes will be the next challenge. I want to drive this car in it's original condition once it is road wo

rthy!

Curtis you should be able to find them at any NAPA store. If you cannot find them ,I just aquired a box of them from a old parts store. Let me know by a PM the size you need and I will send you them. Huppingly Yours Chuck

• 1 month later...
Guest curtmacd

Have the Hupp at my shop on the lift! Found the concave head plug at Oreillys. Hopefully I will be a little closer by this weekend to have it running. Clean out the tank and flush the fuel lines, probably rebuild the carb and just maybe she will fire up? Changing the oil of course. The old boy looks good on the lift. It's amazing that the ONLY rust is on the running boards. This is one solid little car, even the wood is very nice. I will need to put on a new top and do the brakes once I get it to fire up. Truth is, I plan to fix a few things and drive this car just like it is! The paint is original and not that bad. Wonder what all I will need to do to convert this car to 12 volt? Alt, lights, gauge resistor, battery.......what else? Anyone done this on a Hupp? Or should I just keep this a 6 volt? Opinions?

Have the Hupp at my shop on the lift! Found the concave head plug at Oreillys. Hopefully I will be a little closer by this weekend to have it running. Clean out the tank and flush the fuel lines, probably rebuild the carb and just maybe she will fire up? Changing the oil of course. The old boy looks good on the lift. It's amazing that the ONLY rust is on the running boards. This is one solid little car, even the wood is very nice. I will need to put on a new top and do the brakes once I get it to fire up. Truth is, I plan to fix a few things and drive this car just like it is! The paint is original and not that bad. Wonder what all I will need to do to convert this car to 12 volt? Alt, lights, gauge resistor, battery.......what else? Anyone done this on a Hupp? Or should I just keep this a 6 volt? Opinions?
Curtis I have 6 runing Hupps and they are all 6 Volts. Keep it original. Chuck

Guest curtmacd

I agree. Going to keep it all original. Too close to perfect originality now.

How about the running boards? Do you guys think I would have a chance of finding some original replacements, or should I explore having them made? I could consider having the rusted through sections replaced? The structural parts are not rusted, only the flat surfaces. I'll get some better pics tomorrow and share.

Put an ad in the Parts Locator under "Need" to get running boards assistance to make them.

My guess is you may have to frabricate them.

You can go to Amazon.com & purchase the book:

The Hupmobile Story: From Beginning To End [Hardcover]

Amazon.com: The Hupmobile Story: From Beginning To End (9781932439137): Bill Cuthbert: Books

It tells the history the Hupp Co including information on the 1930 Hupmobile.

As for color, the 1931 model S came in one of four colors, Black with gray interior, maroon with a rose interior , dark blue with dark blue, or dark green etc, but all came with black fenders.

Can someone confirm the 1930 colors?

I have a 31 S 4 dr painted black and a previously installed light tan interior.

Several years ago I was told all the 6 cyl engines were painted green.

Recently, I find out some of the engines were painted Black.

If you decide to paint the engine, I have the correct engine color formula for green.

post-41405-143139160108_thumb.jpg

I look forward to your progress updates.

The good news, if we give you incorrect information, someone will get us corrected.

What city & state are you located in?

post-41405-143139160101_thumb.jpg

Guest curtmacd

If anyone finds the book mentioned in hard cover for sale and available, please let me know. It appears that Amazon and others are out of stock.

Guest curtmacd

OK, stupid question time. Positive ground or negative ground on the 1930 S series? Having trouble finding spec information. I also need to know the cylinder head torque specification.

Time to get her running!

Guest curtmacd

Battery hooked up, engine turns over with the starter. Installing the head Saturday. Need to clean out the gas tank and lines then get a carb kit, next step. All is well so far! Thanks for the direction guys!

Guest curtmacd

post-80819-143139172542_thumb.jpg

Well, any ideas where to locate a replacement float for the vacuum assist? What do you suppose happened to this one? Looks to have collapsed. Do they make a rebuild kit for these? Any ideas anyone?

post-80819-143139172529_thumb.jpg

post-80819-143139172536_thumb.jpg

[ATTACH=CONFIG]153779[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]153780[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]153781[/ATTACH]

Well, any ideas where to locate a replacement float for the vacuum assist? What do you suppose happened to this one? Looks to have collapsed. Do they make a rebuild kit for these? Any ideas anyone?

Curtis I am not sure how many differant size floats Stewart made. The 1 I have has a 3 in dia. and is 5 in. overall length. It has a few dings but does not leak. Send me a PM with your address and I will send it to you. NOW the important thing. The top casting is made of pot metal, pig metal, also called white metal. If they realized that 90 years later that this metal would self destruct they might have used something else. But it was cheap to make.This being said, you will need to use a Dreamal to grind the tiny brass pin on one end that holds the float to the arm.. DO not try to pound it out. Once you grind the shoulder off one end of the pin, it will come out easily. See Pic of float

post-60296-143139173075_thumb.jpg