numbers natching info on '64 Catalina?

Guest dockybuddy

Guest dockybuddy

Does anyone know what "numbers matching" means on a '64 Catalina. Has factory 4-speed, factory tach, 2 dr hdt. I've been told this is a 'racing package' and if so, how many were made? and are there special numbers stamped on the engine and trans. that have anything to do with the VIN? How do I decifer these numbers to know if it is "numbers matching"? I have gotten dozens of answers and no one seems to know. Thank you, thank you, thank you, if you know for a fact.

Dockybuddy

Numbers matching on something of that era usually means that the serial number and the engine number are the same or perhaps very close to the same. Another way of saying that it still has the engine that it left the factory with. Is it a 389 or 421?

For 1964 Pontiac built 242,574 Catalinas and of those 15,194 had manual gearboxes. I know that in 1963 there were four different gearboxes available but don't know about 1964.

I don't know about the 'racing package'. It just sounds like one of the many options available.

Guest Jim_Edwards

Numbers matching is simply going to mean the engine and body have the same numbers and those options that are shown on the patent plate or sticker match what is in/on the vehicle. Accessory type items or options will not bear the same numbers as the engine and body.

You will need to find information for the model year of the car that clearly defines what a racing package consisted of and it may include internal engine component variations which you cannot see and will only be reflected via the specific engine serial number and/or casting numbers for the block, heads, intake manifold, and exhaust manifold type.

Does anyone know what "numbers matching" means on a '64 Catalina. Has factory 4-speed, factory tach, 2 dr hdt. I've been told this is a 'racing package' and if so, how many were made? and are there special numbers stamped on the engine and trans. that have anything to do with the VIN? How do I decifer these numbers to know if it is "numbers matching"? I have gotten dozens of answers and no one seems to know. Thank you, thank you, thank you, if you know for a fact.

Dockybuddy

sounds like to me that this another time where someone gets alittle too creative when telling someone else about a car, while pontiac did many things to help their cars to "win on sunday- sell more cars on monday", if this car had the highest horsepower 421 dual quad, swiss cheese frame, aluminum front clip sheet metal and bumper, and few other items, then i would say there's truth in claiming the car has a "racing package" charles coker, 1953 pontiac tech advisor.