Volkswagen ad

adam1982

Those VW ads were well known back in the day as being very clever and cutting edge.

ala "Mad Men". Can you imagine the uproar it would cause today IF it ever made it past the "PC" police?

There would probably be a "Occupy VW headquarters" movement as well as a retraining program for the copywriters or an all out firing!

Just shows how much the world has changed since I was a kid.

Guest Backburner

Compared to fixing up a 31 DB or a 68 Chevelle they are still cheap.

I recently purchased a set of new repo running boards for my 63 Bug for the paltry sum of 60.00 dollars.

Guest Backburner
But can you stand on the $60 Brazilian running boards?

Didn't plan on standing on them anyways.

Volkswagen running boards are purely decorative in my opinion, even though the ones I purchased are of good quality and appear sturdy.

Volkswagen running boards are purely decorative in my opinion, even though the ones I purchased are of good quality and appear sturdy.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

They are very useful keeping the ft. tire from splashing the body sides and the rear fender of water and mud. They are really too narrow to stand on anyway.

D.

Quite often when I was a kid, when my dad got home from work, he'd let me ride on the running board from the end of the driveway up to the house, while holding onto the open window frame. Those were original VW Bugs, back in the day (his last one, which I remember the most, was a '63), and there were no JC Whitney 'cosmetic' running boards on the scene (yet). Granted, I probably wasn't a huge kid at that time, but the running board was perfectly adequate for me to stand on while he drove up the driveway, and for my dad to feel safe allowing me to do so.

Back when I had a 36hp '57 VW Beetle I came the conclusion that the running boards could best be described as vestigial:

Biology (of an organ or part of the body) degenerate, rudimentary, or atrophied, having become functionless in the course of evolution : the vestigial wings of kiwis are entirely hidden.

I think the ad photo in the original post must have been a precursor to the later unsuccessful "drivers wanted" campaign that VW had. I say unsuccessful as it seems no one I see operating later model VWs actually seems to know how to drive. :rolleyes:

I'm 230 pounds when dressed for work and stand on mine to polish the roof. Couldn't do that with my old VW with the Brazilian running boards. This car has the German ones.

Same goes for the Brazilian bumpers that can be dented by backing into a rubber traffic tube. I bet the Brazilian fenders look like the subject of this thread when confronted with beach inflatable's.

post-32318-143138743124_thumb.jpg

I'm 230 pounds when dressed for work and stand on mine to polish the roof. Couldn't do that with my old VW with the Brazilian running boards. This car has the German ones.

Same goes for the Brazilian bumpers that can be dented by backing into a rubber traffic tube. I bet the Brazilian fenders look like the subject of this thread when confronted with beach inflatable's.

You must have very tiny feet!:eek:

BTW what are those things doing on the rear fenders??

D.

Guest PeoplesCar

Very cool :) I started collecting VW ads a little while ago; I currently only have four, but they're my four favorite ones. They ran during a campaign from the late 1960s until the 1970 model year I believe.

I used to have a bumper sticker in the rear window of my '71 that said "It's ugly, but it gets you there." My vanity tags (before I changed to antique registration) were "SO BUGLY."

post-81399-143138746959_thumb.jpg

post-81399-143138746961_thumb.jpg

post-81399-143138746964_thumb.jpg

post-81399-143138746965_thumb.jpg

Guest PeoplesCar

Everything today is too generic ... beige boxes with wheels, they all look identical.

Is it a Jetta? A Taurus? A Civic, Cobalt, or Avalon? To me, if it's not a classic, it's just a Genericar.

Everything today is too generic ... beige boxes with wheels, they all look identical.

Is it a Jetta? A Taurus? A Civic, Cobalt, or Avalon? To me, if it's not a classic, it's just a Genericar.

That is not true.

You can't get them in beige anymore. Only sliver, black, and white.