Constant Door Ajar Message!

Guest vwdubb

Guest 68vwdubb

Hello To All!

On my 90 Reatta, I have a constant door ajar message. Just thought I would ask in case anyone else has experienced this problem. I would assume its in the door jam switch but I wondered if it may be in the actual door lock inside the door? Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreicated. Thanks to all in advance!

Hello To All!

On my 90 Reatta, I have a constant door ajar message. Just thought I would ask in case anyone else has experienced this problem. I would assume its in the door jam switch but I wondered if it may be in the actual door lock inside the door? Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreicated. Thanks to all in advance!

It's the door jamb switch. There's nothing else that could give you that message. Unless of course you're just not slamming the door hard enough. ;):)

Edited by NCReatta (see edit history)

Guest Mc_Reatta

Negative, it's the door ajar switch attached to the latch at the rear of the door, not the jamb switch down by your feet at the front of the door frame.

The tab that the attaching screw goes thru has probably broken off allowing the switch to fall down inside the door.

They are a PITA to get to to replace, but replacements are available at most FLAPS and Rock-Auto. Some vendors mislabel them as jamb switches to add to the confusion. Look at the photo to see if it's what is needed.

There was a post on how to replace one on here a while back. I'll see if I can find it and post a link.

Here's a photo of an ajar switch:

post-55241-143138731754_thumb.jpg

post-55241-143138731754_thumb.jpg

Negative, it's the door ajar switch attached to the latch at the rear of the door, not the jamb switch down by your feet at the front of the door frame.

The tab that the attaching screw goes thru has probably broken off allowing the switch to fall down inside the door.

They are a PITA to get to to replace, but replacements are available at most FLAPS and Rock-Auto. Some vendors mislabel them as jamb switches to add to the confusion. Look at the photo to see if it's what is needed.

There was a post on how to replace one on here a while back. I'll see if I can find it and post a link.

Here's a photo of an ajar switch:

I learn something every day! :)

Perhaps it was wishful thinking on my part that it would be the easy switch to replace.. ;)

Guest Mc_Reatta

Yes, unfortunately you have to remove the inner door panel and open the long black plastic wire channel that runs along the inside of the door. Towards the rear end are two 2 wire electrical connectors. One is for the door handle switch and the other is for the door ajar switch. One has a solid gray wire and a black wire with a white stripe. The other has a gray wire with a black stripe and a black wire with a white stripe. Disconnect the one with the gray wire with the black stripe. That will turn off the door ajar warning until you can get the switch fixed.

Yes, unfortunately you have to remove the inner door panel and open the long black plastic wire channel that runs along the inside of the door. Towards the rear end are two 2 wire electrical connectors. One is for the door handle switch and the other is for the door ajar switch. One has a solid gray wire and a black wire with a white stripe. The other has a gray wire with a black stripe and a black wire with a white stripe. Disconnect the one with the gray wire with the black stripe. That will turn off the door ajar warning until you can get the switch fixed.
That wouild make a great tutorial for my website if someone could supply a few photos to make it clear where everything is. Anyone have photos?

Guest Mc_Reatta

If your door ajar switch is broken so that you get a constant door ajar warning, you have lost your RAP function as the BCM thinks a door is always open and RAP is shut off when the ignition key is turned off. If you disconnect that ajar switch, the BCM will think the door is always closed, so it won't turn RAP off when that door is opened. It will turn off though when the timer limit is reached (~7-10 min) so you should be OK.

It won't affect the courtesy lights since that is controlled by the jamb switches.

CRT folks will not have the show either. :mad: