Production Record from Chrysler on my Dodge Brothers

Guest danceswithpumps

Guest danceswithpumps

Ok, I got my production record for my Dodge Bros. :)Pretty interesting to find out it was sold new in Denver, Co. dealer was not stated, came out with wood wheels and Fisk tires. The shocker was to find out that my Dodge was made on July 2, 1929, DA84565, but my title says it is a 1930. This also doesn't agree with a production list that I got from an old car parts vendor from the internet. Is this a common thing? Should I re-title the car to 1929? This car has been in the family under this title since 1950. The previous owner passed away around 10 years ago.

Thanks,:)

Rod

Just means it was not sold right away. Two door were a tougher sale back then because people had large familys. I see no reason to re-title it.

Guest danceswithpumps
That's interesting what you guys say, because I have the opposite than what he has. My car # indicates the car should be a 1929 series, but it is currently titled 1928. I'm waiting to receive my build car to see what it says before doing anything.

Interesting! Anxious to see what you find out on yours.:)

Rod

Keep in mind - many States back in those days titled the year of the car, as the year it was when the car was first sold. So, if it took a while for a car to be sold it could have a title year the year after the manufacture year. And conversely, if a car was sold in say August of 1928 but was a 1929 model year from the factory (made in July '28 say), it will be titled as a '28. Kind of a mess but if you know "the rules" in play for the State it was first sold in, you can usually figure it out.

But keep in mind also that someone COULD have made a typo error when the first or subsequent titles were made out causing a shift in the year. If that's the case, only a full title search MAY be able to help you out. But with privacy laws in place now-a-days, that process can sometimes can be problematic! :(

Guest danceswithpumps

Right. :)Thanks, 1932 D2. I understand, a lot of things have changed since then.

My first thought was a typo somewhere along the line. I had 2 numbers switched around in a VIN on a car I bought new but nobody noticed it until I moved to another state and needed a new title. They inspected the 2 yr. old car. I and my car drew quite a crowd in front of the court house 'cause they thought it was stolen.

Another time the assessor typed the wrong VIN and that increased the value of the new pickup $5,000, therefore increasing the licensing fee and sales tax. It always pays to inquire as we all make mistakes.

Rod

Guest danceswithpumps

LOL!! I sure did!! :)Nobody is perfect as I also said in my last sentence, WE all make mistakes. I couldn't remember that your name was Dave either.

Glad I wasn't being paid to type somebody's title, huh?

Rod

Guest danceswithpumps
danceswithpumps, see how easy it is to make a typo?! You typed "Thanks 1932 D2" instead of 1936 D2! LOL It's just that easy and we all do it.

Hey, Dave. :) I see in your profile that you were born on Dec.31, 2011. I hope that's a TYPO too. LOL!!:)

Rod

I want to get the build cards for 4 of my old MOPARS but when I sent a note to Chrysler, they told me they are not doing build cards right now. For those interested in getting build cards, here is the reply I got from Chrysler.

Hello Robert,

Thank you for contacting the Chrysler Historical Services.

Unfortunately, at this time, we are unable to answer requests for information. Our services are temporarily suspended while we embark on a major project of digitizing the materials in the archives. By undertaking such an enormous project, our hope is to offer improved services in the future. We anticipate being able to respond to requests by March of 2012.

You may resubmit your request after March 1, 2012.

We apologize for the inconvenience this may cause you. Your patience is very much appreciated in this matter.

Best regards,

Danielle Szostak-Viers

Let me just say that Danielle is VERY helpful and it will be worth the wait. I was actually able to get a build card for a car that was not in my name with the provision that I would send her a copy of my new title for her records (which is a requirement to get the card copy). Very nice person to work with.

Yes. I very much agree. Everyone at the "Collection" is very helpful!

The only thing that I am a bit concerned about during this digitization process is wondering how deeply they will try to make particular information searchable for any one particular record.

I had received copies for both of my vehicles, and the "decoding" letter that came along with both cards listing the data shown on each of the cards had errors. You could fairly easily make out the info on the copies of the original microfilmed cards yourself, but that info was not all correctly interpreted onto the info letter. Some of the info was possibly more obvious to me because of my particular knowledge and experience with the particular model of Dodge I have, and other pieces of info were just misread from the cards.

If these minor inaccuracies are carried through to the database created when their process is performed, it may cause trouble finding the correct data cards if searching is done using card data other than the serial number (which seems to work OK from what limited knowledge I have of that search process). I have heard from others that their particular serial number was missing from the records because a string of serial numbers was missing. Not sure what the cause of that would be.

Anyway - all-in-all their services are INVALUABLE to those of us trying to properly restore our Dodge and Chrysler product vehicles and if this digitization process works cleanly can only help this records managment process.

Thanks Chrysler! :)