What do you call the rubber piece....

Lebowski

....that goes against the window and prevents water from going down inside the door? It's on the outside and presses up against the window as it goes up and down. The piece on my '86 Regal is cracked and I would like to replace it but I don't know what it's called. Thanks....

After a couple of hours of research it looks like it's called a belt or beltline weatherstrip. I found one at Rock Auto for $57 plus shipping. Now I need to find out how to remove the door panel to access it. I couldn't find any instructions through Google. Does anyone know how to do it or where I can find the instructions?

You might be lucky and find that part is just dropped in and attached by two small screws, one at each end of the door where the trim is tucked inside on the door jamb.

Or you may be unlucky and find it is attached by a series of screws running the length of the seal, which can only be accessed if the window is removed.

Good luck.

I ordered the piece today from Rock Auto and it looks like I'm going to have to disassemble half the door to get it in there. Will I need any special tools to remove the door panel or anything else? If I do I'd like to get them by next week when the piece arrives so I can hopefully complete the entire job in one day....

Most likely the window is rivited to the crank mechanism, and the crank mechanism is rivited to the door. The easiest thing is to drill them out and replace with standard bolts and nuts with nylon inserts from your hardware store. Use the nylon insert nuts to keep em from backing off while the vehicle is in use. Especially important because you want to use the shortest possible bolts you can find that will do the job due to clearances of other mechanical stuff within the door cavity.

Also you will want to get the spatula for removing the plastic pegs that hold the inner door panel on. The tool is a few dollars and most any reputable parts store will know what you are talking about when you ask. You want this because without it the plastic pegs will pop out of their slot on the door panel and may not go back in. It has a V cut in the center of the spatula and this allows you to push the spatula onto the pegs blindfolded and then easily pry them out of the metal door backing without damaging them.

Edited by JohnD1956 (see edit history)

nuts with nylon inserts

Are they steel nuts with nylon on the inside? Does that keep them from coming loose similar to what a lock washer would do? How many rivets are we talking about?

I saw a guy using one of those spatula things in a YouTube video. Is this it?

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?R=BK_7769160_0109455688

Edited by Lebowski (see edit history)

Yes, the nylon insert is in the nut. It eliminates the use of lock washers which lets you use shorter bolts. Plus it eliminates all the funbling with lock washers and the nuts too.

As for the tool, see the picture below. There's another variety on the prior page of the catalogue but this one works pretty well.

post-31834-143138733385_thumb.jpg

When I acces your link the NAPA site comes up but it does not sow a tool. I can't tell what your's looking at.

Meanwhile, did you see the screws running the length of the strip on the car? I ask because as the cars get newer many times the manufacturers seem to employ what I call "press and Stick" manufacturing processes. I know on my son's 89 Lesabre those pieces just seem to pop off without taking anything else apart.

It's part number SER2822 and it's $5.69. Yours looks about the same but it's $10.49.

The weatherstrip piece looks like it's held on by 4 or 5 Phillips screws. I don't want to take it apart until the part arrives because I have to park the car outside although I'm tempted to check it out. I'll let you know next week what happens....

Oh Boy... Well, I will automatically defer to someone with direct experience. But I bet you find two screws underneath the padded arm rest and one up under each arm of that chrome pull strap.

The door lock should just unscrew and then be pulled off the top.

I replaced the beltline weatherstrip on the driver's door today. It took me 5 hours but at least I got it done. There were 5 bolts holding the window to the track so that was a lot better than rivets. I unbolted the glass and let it sit inside the door while I replaced the weatherstrip. Reassembly wasn't too bad except that I forgot to put the piece of insulation back in so it may be a little noisier inside now which means I'll just have to crank up the stereo a little louder. Thanks to all those who offered advice and support.... ;)