55 Packard Patricain (Orig-untouched)

Guest blakemrd

Guest blakemrd

A friend of mine is getting up in years and now has to part with an old 1955 packard patrician four door,that has been in the family from new. his brother inharited it when their father passed and then it was given to my friend to care for the last ten years or more. It is hard for someone to give up something that has ment so much to a family.

This car looks new. Has Orig interior (Spotless) Ride control, owner's manual and shop Manual. Runs great and very quite, has 56,000 Orig Miles. Special undercoating that was put by factory. the undercarrage is clean with no rust.

Owner has orig history of the car as well as orig dealer paper work.

I have talked to other classic car dealers and was told that his asking price of 15,000 was well in line with the value of this piticular auto.

I offered to help him if I could and felt this is the place to start and a place. That if someone was interested in this auto, it would be going to someone who apprecates Antique Auto's as he dose. Thanks!

Edited by blakemrd (see edit history)

Guest blakemrd

Here is a home made flyer he gave me at the last auto show the names on the flyer is his family and they are storing it for him. Anthony (Tony) Molesky is the owner

post-80726-143138730984_thumb.jpg

where is the car located?

It has a New Hampshire license plate on the front. That is a really well-preserved car at a very reasonable price. Is that the original paint? Has it had any major work done to it like a rebuild of the engine or transmission? Feel free to post a few more pics and good luck with the sale....

Guest blakemrd

yes it is the original paint and no it has not had anything done to motor or transmission. It has been well taken care of.

I just got off the phone with his son-in-law and he is sending me more pics of motor,inside of car, ect.

I would tend to respectfully disagree on offer price of $15,000 being well within fair or reasonable.

It has absolutely nothing to do with the "wow" factor of this nice original Packard. It has more to do with buyer interest in mid 50's four door sedans of the luxury makes.

There are probably a few buyers out there in that $15,000 range but they will be hard to find. If the car were consigned to a major auction, would it bring $15,000? Not sure.

I was at a Packard auction 2 years ago where there were several nice original 55-56 Packards, many Patricians or 2 door hardtops and only one went over $12,000 and I think that was a 400 2 door hardtop.

Remember there are few high buck post war Packard collectors and those that are out there pretty much have everything they want or need. One might be tempted to add this car to their collection, but probably not at $15,000.

That leaves a drop to the next "tier" of collecting. Baby boomers with pensions and 401k's and home equity money and "typically" they are looking for muscle cars and/or specialty cars, NOT mid fifties 4 door sedans.

You have found a large appreciation circle for this car here but not sure it reflects real time spending money. I would love to be proven wrong and would like to know the final selling price, which is usually not provided.

I suspect the selling price will be north of $10,000 but not sure...

One more item of note with this car, and I bring this up because I have looked carefully at 1955 Patricians since I first considered buying one during the early 1970's.

The side trim of this particular car differs from any other 1955 Patrician I have seen personally or seen photos of. I would want to obtain some sort of validation that this style trim was, in fact, available from the factory before trusting that the car is completely original.

This car has the typical Patrician side trim:

146951d1263273023-pristine-packard-patrician-packard-1955-patrician-f.jpg

Guest blakemrd

:o :mad: To the Antique Auto the Automobile Club of America and to all the members please accept my deepist appoligies! In no way was it my intent to deceive or make any false claims about this car. I pride myself in being an honest upstanding person every day of my life and when I posted this auto for a friend who has no computer skills I belived I had a good understanding of this car's history and I didn't.

I spoke with the owner after receving my last email and he has confirmed that this car is in fact not untouched. and I know that means it is no long an original.

I had been told prior to the posting that to even get his asking price, the car would have to be original and in eceptinal condition.

Can you elaborate on that? Has the car been repainted or is it original paint, has the interior been reupholstered or is it original, have the bumpers been rechromed? What exactly do you mean by the "car is in fact not untouched"? The more info and pictures you can provide the easier it will be to sell....

Guest blakemrd

What I have now confirmed is that the car was purchased from a collector and that the car has the original interior, Original Motor and nothing has been done to it except normal maintainence, The car has had a repaint and when ever it was done, they didn't reinstall the trim, He told me that when they built cars back then,this trim was not on the cars untill they went into production, he also said that he didn't think this was the case because of the year of his car

I tend to believe when or whom ever did the repaint just never reinstalled it

He told me that the Transmision was rebuilt 5-6 ago.

I will post some more pics as soon as his son down sizeses them so I can post them.

Maybe $15K is optimistic, based on the refurbishment described and a general slowdown in the market. That said, the overall car looks like a decent package, ready to enjoy with a fair amount of known maintenance history. I would not get too discouraged, still looks like a strong #3 to me. If you are ambitous enough you may want to also post on PAC and Packard info websites as well. If seller is realistic I would price at the high end of Bleach's suggested range or maybe try a tad over the psychological $10K mark. These cars represent a pretty good bargain compared to other 50s choices, can travel at generally "modern" speeds, and are true Packards. :)

Also, you learned more about the car and updated the description - nothing to apologize for in my opinion, blakemrd.

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)