Firewall color on a '64

Paul K.

What color should the underhood firewall be on a '64? I recently saw a '63 which was painted body color and it looked original. I have owned five or six '64s and 65s and always remember the firewalls as black.

Yes, it was black from factory. Seems most folks, myself included, tend to use Rust-Oleam 7777 for under hood paint, which is a satin black paint. It's leaves a nice finish when dry. (It does take a while to dry, and cure however) I use the same paint on the inner fenders, bottom of the hood, pulley's, air cleaner, ect. You can get it either in a rattle can, or in quart size can's to spray in a HVLP sprayer.

Edited by Rob J (see edit history)

I can't tell you because my car is black, but when Don sent me pictures of the vintage air installation on his '63, he had a white firewall on a white car. Body color would make sense to me; the naked body goes through the paint line for body color, why take another step to paint the firewall black? As Tom says "Jim?"

Ed

Some `63`s are body color from the factory...Jim?

Tom Mooney

YES! You guys are correct. The 1963 Rivs first started leaving the factory with the firewall painted body color. They ran that way for quite a while (it is not just a "first few weeks of production" thing).

It is difficult to say exactly when the switch occurred from body color to satin black, but it was definitely in the '63 model year. '64 and '65 were all satin black.

The latest car I have in my database with a body colored firewall is a 12C.

I have a 02B that looks like it is still the original black.

So I would guess that the change was made around the first of the year in '63.

"Restored" cars might incorrectly have the firewall black prior to 12C. I skip pictures that have obviously had their engine compartment redone.

Guest Kingoftheroad

Everything is black under the hood of my 64. I used some Satin Black RustOleum for touching up some spots and it matched almost perfectly....

I can't tell you because my car is black, but when Don sent me pictures of the vintage air installation on his '63, he had a white firewall on a white car. Body color would make sense to me; the naked body goes through the paint line for body color, why take another step to paint the firewall black? As Tom says "Jim?"

Ed

You want me to do my "Carnac the Magnificent" routine again???

:)

Some `63`s are body color from the factory.

Tom Mooney

As my 63 has been painted at least once, with a color change from light blue to dark blue, this one had me puzzled. My firewall is body color. Never thought any more about it. Then I read this and think, why is my firewall body color? If it was satin black, there would have been no need to change it to a different color when the car was resprayed. Car needs paint again and a satin black firewall would have certainly made my life easier. My painter's, too.