Small rust issue

Adambravo

The best way is to GENTLY pull that molding (try pushing from the trunk with an awl or tiny punch. And gently clean away the rusty areas. Use a small dremel type rotary tool with a wire brush to clean it up. Then coat with POR-15 and a small model type paint brush. Top coat with auto enamel and it will stop the spread much better then anything you can coat on the outside. It will take several hours but be well worth it.

Eastwood has a coulpe of products worth looking at. One is called Rust Encapulator. Traps the rust, and keeps it from spreading. Once it's done it's thing, you can prime and paint over it. Your car was orginally painted with acrlic lacquer - the easiest paint to repair and blend, but it's not as "green" as today's paints. The other Eastwood product is called Rust converter. It too neutralizes the rust and you can paint over it. Open the link, and find the videos.

Rust Repair - Auto Body Rust Treatment - Corrosion Treatment - Eastwood

Ed

Guest Kingoftheroad

Actually, as long as there is no rust above the trim, you could remove the trim and make the required body repair. Then you can paint / blend behind & below the trim. The repair would be invisible compared to the rusty spot and considering the location of the repair no one would see it unless they were looking for it.

Guest Kingoftheroad
Eastwood has a coulpe of products worth looking at. One is called Rust Encapulator. Traps the rust, and keeps it from spreading. Once it's done it's thing, you can prime and paint over it. Your car was orginally painted with acrlic lacquer - the easiest paint to repair and blend, but it's not as "green" as today's paints. The other Eastwood product is called Rust converter. It too neutralizes the rust and you can paint over it. Open the link, and find the videos.

Rust Repair - Auto Body Rust Treatment - Corrosion Treatment - Eastwood

Ed

You beat me to it ...lol

Back in western Kansas, they call me "quick draw McGraw."

I just looked at Eastwood's site and they'll sell you a video, but they give you nothing to view. :(

However, YouTube has the episodes. I can't post the link because the school district's servers block any attempt to access YouTube. Just type in YouTube's site address then type in your search in their window.

Or you can open Google, click on the video link at the top, and then type in 'eastwood rust' and it will take you to the YouTube video.

Ed

Guest REX STALLION

Pull out your trunk cardboard and have a look back there. It is amazing how much crud can accumulate . I replaced the entire trunk on my `64 from a donor car and found a ton of crud. You can stop/slow down the rust by sealing it from oxygen . When time and money allows, do a proper repair. Rust is like an Iceberg...most of it is below the surface.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest gun oil

The correct way is to remove the molding and sand blast the rust with silicon sand then use rust mort on it and do what the instructions say 3-coats with sanding between all coats and 24 hr. between coats. then use everglass by evercoat but not bondo then prep for paint. this is the best. sounds like alot of work but if you don't do it good as possible it will be back.