1938 Olds

Guest jloula

I have purchased a old farmsite with a lot of left behind scrap in the woods. I believe 1 of the cars is a 38 olds 4 door. The driver side hood is dented. front grill is cracked, busted windows etc. Other body pannels are decent. Is this something anyone is interested in anymore for parts? I assume not but I hated to scrap something so old without looking into it. Thanks

• 2 months later...

That's at least a $500 car. Hot rodders, rat rodders, guys like that. No way I would scrap it. You see cars like this on ebay or Craigs List all the time for a lot more then $500, so maybe I am low.

Sell it. That way someone gets some value out of it and you get it removed from your property for free.

If it was an 8cyl car, I would have been interested.

Or maybe you are once again confusing asking and selling price...

I agree 95% of those cars are NOT getting sold but when I offer a lower price 95% of them say NO.

I do think that $500 might be low on this one.

I agree 95% of those cars are NOT getting sold but when I offer a lower price 95% of them say NO.

Unfortunately, the fact that the seller spends too much time watching Barrett Jackson auctions doesn't mean that a car is worth that much. I'm dealing with exactly that problem right now. Car is an unpopular model, hasn't moved since 1975 (when the engine was taken apart) and the seller thinks it's worth about twice what it should be. Car will be sitting there another 35 years at this rate. :rolleyes:

Unfortunately, the fact that the seller spends too much time watching Barrett Jackson auctions doesn't mean that a car is worth that much. I'm dealing with exactly that problem right now. Car is an unpopular model, hasn't moved since 1975 (when the engine was taken apart) and the seller thinks it's worth about twice what it should be. Car will be sitting there another 35 years at this rate. :rolleyes:

I know. In the last few years I have come to realize there are more cars left then I originally thought. It hurts just a little when a seller won't be reasonable and drop their price. It bothers me that ebay "salvage yard" project cars run over and over again for months if not years, while my perfectly good offer gets declined, but I get over it.

Just bought a 70 Buick Wildcat 455, factory buckets and console for $700 from the 2nd owner family "who was just happy to find a guy that would restore it".

... and other similar tales, but it takes far more work then should be necessary.

Just bought a 70 Buick Wildcat 455, factory buckets and console for $700 from the 2nd owner family "who was just happy to find a guy that would restore it".

Bryan, you make me sick.:mad:

Cars like that never show up here, much less for cheap money. I've been looking for a nice 69 Impala SPORT COUPE for several years and as many as were made, it's like they've vanished from Earth. I do not want a Custom Coupe (never liked big outsized sail panels) though they're common as dirt. I run into the same thing with the 67-69 Thunderbird search- Landau Coupes are everywhere, but I want the Hardtop Coupe with quarter windows. The Fordor Landau is more common than the Hardtop Coupe.

Something about those big outsized blind sail panels just grates on my sense of styling. They were bad enough on their own, and then when people started putting fake T-bird portholes in them, yeesh. It was like chalk grating on a blackboard.

And I've taken this thread in a completely different direction from 38 Oldsmobiles. :o Back to our show, ladies and gents...

• 1 year later...
Guest Sir Shelton

What does the dash look like. Are you willing to sell parts of the instrument cluster? How about the heater motors? Can you post pictures of the interior?

• 10 years later...