1949 Roadmaster "lost"

60FlatTop

Guest BigDogDaddy

The description says the car was lost and the shop too. That sounds more like everything was seized, either by a bank or gov't agency. Either way he should be able to get the car back. Something doesn't sound right.

I posted that ad here feeling a little empathy about the situations which can take our cars away. It was an ad, but contemplating all the things around such an incident are pretty sobering.

In the 1990's I had a customer's car at a dealership paint shop when the feds showed up with chains and padlocks. My friend, the body shop manager, scrambled and got the car off the premises. It could have been really bad, the owner of the car was a lawyer!

I'm glad I shared and you got the parts, Pete.

Bernie

Bernie,

Thanks for the lead. I also experienced the near loss of a car once. I was restoring a 1964 Studebaker Commander, had it just about done, and the shop where I was working on it didn't pay their rent and went out of business. I had to go get a sheriff's writ of attachment--I think that is what it was called--and got a deputy to contact the building owner and let me get the car out. Thank goodness I had a title to the car and the title was in my possession, not inside the car!

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

I believe most government agencies will bend over backwards to release that which is clearly identified as not beloning to the shop owner. They may issue a order directing that any payment due the shop be sent to them instead, but they would not confiscate items beloning to an innocent third party.