T Head Maxwell Roadsters

Northeast Roadsters

• 4 weeks later...

I know that in the shed behind my fathers house is are two chassis minus engines, but there is one nice radiator, and a hood. We picked up as spares for our '10 model G that at one time had a back seat but I think it's going to make the best little pickup or mother in law roadster ever.

Two Hershey's ago a man gave me contact info and two grainy 1070's pics of his restored GAR (just like of very much like your top photo), with admissions that it sits in a lean-to and has since the 70's. He wanted a crazy 75k for it. Didn't run across him this year and don't know where the contact info is. Middle of Chocolate field. He lived local and went home every night, if I recall correctly.

These are 30 horse cars, fyi. That is a good thing to some and in some circles it makes them nothing. I know them to be nice cars for touring, even the smaller 22hp thead 4s are peppy and fun cars.

We will be willing to let go of a project chassis after we establish what, if anything, we need or want to keep around for the restoration and preservation of our Model G. We will be proud of them as we intend to keep the G and the parts will be hard to come by again if we break something and need them some day.

On a side note, if anyone has a 30hp maxwell 4 cyl t head engine they would like to sell, I wouldn't mind building the car in the middle photo myself.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

That fellow you were talking about lived in VA who wanted the 75k.

I offered him 40k for it 13 years ago and saw it a few months later in tow, at Hershey. It was maroon in color and needed a complete going through.

Thought his name was Scotto or something like that? Doubt that he is around today....

• 5 years later...

Yes I know an old post but the fellow still has the car for sale. If you do the math by the dates posted above it has been for sale now a minimum of 18 years. He is still around at the age of 80 years old as I spoke to him on the phone a few days ago. Still asking a big big dollar for the Gar  like the rest of his cars. He is telling me it would cost under $2,000. to get the Gar back on the road. I told him the tires will cost more than that. It looks to be in sad condition needing everything now but would make a nice car when finished.  I think if it ever sells it will be in an estate sale.

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)

I looked at this car in person in Virginia last fall at Mr. Scotto's residence in Virginia.  While complete, I believe it would need a thorough rebuild as a minimum and likely a full restoration.  It is a complete car, reportedly formerly from Austin Clark's collection.   It is a magnificent car, though; would love to own it someday.