mechanical brakes pulling

Guest greg walsh

Guest greg walsh

My 35 Buick is pulling hard to the left when braking. I've tried adjusting them to where they both have the same amount of drag when rotating the tires. Anybody have any suggestions or what's the best way to adjust them? Thanks.

My 35 Buick is pulling hard to the left when braking. I've tried adjusting them to where they both have the same amount of drag when rotating the tires. Anybody have any suggestions or what's the best way to adjust them? Thanks.

While a cable stretch could be a problem, other things to consider would be the coefficient of friction between all four brakes between the drums and shoes. A small amount of contamination, dirt,grease, gear oil and in the case of hydraulic brakes-brake fluid (not that it applies here) will cause uneven braking. Also look for any snags where one cable may hang up and don't forget the cables need to be lubricated. Hope this helps.

Don

In about 1970 I was having the same problem with my mechanical brake cars, both 2 and 4 wheel braking. I mat a guy in his 80's who was still running a brake shop that he had run all his life.

I explained my frustration. He told me one way to set the brakes up was to drive the car and slam on the brakes and cause a skid. Then adjust all the brakes until all the skid patternes were the same. It works!

A bit hard on the tires but it makes the brakes work.