Sticky throttle?

NCReatta

I feel as though my has pedal is sticking sometimes on my '89.

Like when I go to make a stop, I'll take my foot off the gas, and put it on the brake, and the idle of the engine only goes down to 1200 or 1100 rpm instead of the normal 650 to 700.

It only does this sometimes, but when it does to it, it's annoying.. Any ideas how to remedy this?

Thanks!

Guest Mc_Reatta

Check the vacuum lines and connectors for cracks and leaks.

I would think you would feel a problem with the throttle cable with your foot if it was binding when being pressed and released not just in the idle speed.

One sure was to check is to set the diagnostics to show the TPS voltage. That will tell you if the throttle is returning to its idle position or not when the idle speed stays high.

Intermittent vacuum leak can cause the idle to be that high as well as other things. Try to get a snapshot in diagnostics when it happens next time.

Simple things first. Is your floor mat getting bunched up under the pedal?

Nope, Don't have a Toyota... ;) But in all seriousness, no, the floor mat's just where it should be. And puling up on the gas pedal with my foot doesn't change anything..

Dirty throttle body or sticking IAC could do it. Might try spraying carb cleaner through the honeycomb. I would not remove the TB unless it was really necessary.

I've heard carb cleaner can screw up your MAF... is this true?

Don't use a shop rag. I use my wifes toothbrush with carb cleaner and then try to sneak it back in the house before she catches me...

lol

Wow dave.. Between that and you stealing her nail polish, I'm surprised you're not forced to live in your Reattas! lol

I did some looking into it today.. The throttle cable does seem to have a little more resistance to it that perhaps it should..

Is there a way to clean it without taking the whole thing apart?

Thanks!

If the throttle only seems to stick when you first move the throttle, the butterfly could be sticking in the bore of the throttle body. There is an adjustment screw on the throttle body that limits how far the butterfly can close to prevent it from sticking. Adjusting the screw won't change the idle. The IAC will compensate. Before adjusting the screw be sure the butterfly and the throttle body bore where it seats are clean.

Wow dave.. Between that and you stealing her nail polish, I'm surprised you're not forced to live in your Reattas! lol

I did some looking into it today.. The throttle cable does seem to have a little more resistance to it that perhaps it should..

Is there a way to clean it without taking the whole thing apart?

Thanks!

Thanks Marck, Now all the newbies will wonder about what kind of guy I am!

Thanks Marck, Now all the newbies will wonder about what kind of guy I am!

Oh yeah.. didn't think about that.. :rolleyes:

To the Newbies out there: Dave uses only the most stylish nail polish to color in the Buick Tri-Sheilds on his 16" rims.

Seeing as his wife has impeccable taste in the nail polish department, he chose to honor her in using some of her nail polish on his classy rims.

She should feel flattered.. ;)