Fall Hershey Space Secondary Market

Its been over two weeks since the concept of AACA members that have been locked out of securing vendor spaces at Fall Hershey for two years now could have an opportunity to sub-lease space from those that are owning but not using their real estate this year has been discussed. Did the thought die or are the officials at the Hershey region seriously considering a plan to accomodate all club members that are trying to enjoy the hershey experience through the controlled establishment of a secondary market? <P>Understand that the region permits transfers of title (if you will) via notarized letter but that does not address those that do not want to relinquish permamnet ownership rights and just are not coming this year. Sure would go a long way to filling up the fields with AACA member vendors in place of empty lots and vehicle parking spaces.<P>All would win here! Trying to understand the down side of this idea.

In this day and age of computers - creating a data base of those wishing to sub-lease their spaces for a year could be matched with those that wish to secure spaces for the year. The Hershey region could make additional money on listing fees from both parties and evryone would be happy!<P>This idea has merit!

Secondary space usage<BR>The subject has not died but with all of the preregistration already in my thoughts have turned to finding space on blacktop for the Yellow field vendors.We have had thoughts from some of you and will give it some consideration for next year.Preregistration is closed as of Feb. 22. We have almost 2000 spaces to relocate on a new map.

I've been going to Hershey for 15 years now, and the flea market has always been 25-30% vacant space/parking lot. This was not a concern when new spaces were available for MEMBERS. For the last 3 years, and probably for the forseeable future, there will be no new spaces available. Meanwhile spaces ARE being sold to NON-MEMBERS who are selling inappropriate items. It's hard to imagine the Hershey Region or AACA coming to grips with this any time soon. However, I think the concept that memebers can sub-lease their spaces to other members- at the original cost of the space- is one that can go forward without formal approval from AACA. I would propose that memebers with spaces to "sublet" for Fall '02 simply advertise their wishes on the "for sale" section of this site. As long as the individual members are careful to sublet only to other members I don't see why there would be any harm. Certainly the flea market will improve; and AACA might not lose a member who joined the club with the (radical) idea he could participate at a national event.

Greenie: if you know of a space with a non member on it I wish you would let me know.<BR>All it takes is a letter to the owner of the space letting him know that we know and he will not be invited back.<BR>I will be interested in hearing from you with the names or spaces used by the non members

Nen: I'd love to help with that. While I am at it- would you like the space numbers where there is nothing at all; and the spaces where a member is simply parking his (late model) car there; and the spaces where no antique car/part is displayed( cheap off-shore tools, used blue jeans and the like.) I think the point is the Hershey Flea Market rules are poorly enforced- and this makes the lack of space for 'newer' members more serious. Believe me, I want to take nothing away from the dedicated Hershey region for the job they do for everyone in the hobby. I just think that until things are under control and new members have access to space- AACA should allow easy transfer of space(s) among members. (p.s.: as far as policing the flea market goes- I would suggest you have someone walk the fields on Saturday- making an inventory of spaces improperly used.)

Another possibility is to start up a "second" Hershey exclusively for pre-war vehicles and parts. Restricting them from the "original" Hershey. Then we clear up some vendor space and make everybody happy. Hershey has become too huge now anyway. Walking briskly from dawn to dusk, eating on the go, using the restrooms only as rarely as we dare, most of us still can not cover the fields before the Satruday close-up of vendors (and sometimes Friday!).

John ~ That may appeal to you folks from Ohio and the East who live close to Hershey. How about those of us who live 1800 miles away. Should I have to make two trips to PA just so I can look for parts for my '13 Cadillac and my '55 Buick? Come on, get real. Think beyond your own immediate area. rolleyes.gif" border="0 ~ hvs

Sounds like we are straying from the point of this topic. There are plenty of spaces that could be available for everyone if those (AACA members) that need had a legitimate way to rent for the year from those that own space but chose not attend.

We have two spaces that weren't used, except for parking, last year. The same will be true for this year but we didn't dare let them pass, considering the "lock-out" situation. If a plan was in effect to allow us to sub-let for a year, maybe two, we would have done it. Something should be implemented. I dislike the "empty" spaces as much as anyone else. Thanks for listening.

Guest rcirilli

Frankly I wouldn't want the job NEN has this year. It's a massive project that has enough complications with trying to tweek finite adjustments. As I remember the Hershey region does have people walking around trying to catch bad venders. I suspect that many years there are more pressing problems. I know the Hershey Region has ongoing law suits about a variety of things, just think about the ones subleting your space could create. This is still a hobby isn't it, including for the members of the Hershey Region!

John ~ Sorry you didn't like my answer. Remember, I moved west from Baltimore about 10 years ago, so up to that time a dozen Hersheys a year would not have inconvenienced me. But they would have inconvenienced a lot of folks from west of the Missouri River.<P>But I try to relate to and speak for someone other than myself. My reply was meant to encompass all of the folks who live far, far from Hershey, like the people 1200 miles further west of me in California.<P>I only used myself as an example. Since I already go to Chickasha [1000 mi. one way] and Hershey 1800 mi one way, two trips to Hershey wouldn't kill me. Besides I am retired and have plenty of free time. But what about the poor working stiffs who have limited time off and families who would like to see them occasionally at vacation time? <BR>Why make it hard for them to Hershey shop for cars of multiple eras.<P>Just my opinion and you are certainly entitled to yours. smile.gif" border="0 ~ hvs

hvs--why did I suspect you'd reply as you did? As it stands I travel 1800 miles anyway. West to Chickasha for my prewar stuff, east to Hershey for my postwar vehicles.

In response to rcirulli above - I think that all who have been to Hershey can appreciate the monumental task that the region must manage each year. The fact still remains - We are all members and pay the same dues as all other members. Each of us should be able to have a way of securing spaces at Hershey if we chose to attend. This is an AACA sanctioned event! If the fiels were "full" with vendors it would be a different story - but we all know that they are not even close to full each year. This is a bigger issue since the new space lock-out for the last two years is mentsreventing us from securing space assigned through the annual registration process. Sure hope something works out.

Guest rcirilli

Ts & As, if the number of foreigners continues to drop off as it has the last two years my guess is that there will be a lot of spaces available in a few years.

Right Bob. Hershey is a long way to come from overseas just to look at empty spaces, parked cars and much of the same merchandise that everyone seen for the past many years.<P>I guess one big question is, is there any new blood with new "old" stuff out there waiting to come in? ~ hvs

I know this is going to raise a large outcry...But if someone buys spaces for two consecutive years without using them...don't allow them the right to renew their space for a third year, sell it to an AACA member that wants to sell at Hershey not one that says "I have a space at Hershey" but never sells anything.<BR> Or perhaps there should be a ratio imposed ....percentage of space used for vending vs percentage of space used for living/ parking...and vending must be at least 15-20 percent.<BR> just some off-the-sublect thoughts<BR> Bill

Interesting points-<BR> I have a different twist. Everyone is putting the blame on the venders here. Consider this: Maybe the reason there are so many empty spaces is because lazy buyers don't take the time to walk down the isle to visit the guy on the end! I have been a vender at Hershey for thirteen years and have brought fresh stock every year. My space is the third one in from a major corridor, and the ratio of people who walk down the corridor to those who walk down my isle is maybe 25/1 on a good day. I can't tell you how discouraging it is to watch people walk past and only glance down the isle. Almost all of the venders are there in the beginning of the week, but after a while the unfortunate ones on the end of the isle say the hell with it and pack up. Those who stay throw a tarp over the stuff and go enjoy the show themselves. When buyers do show up 50 % of them are other venders who are looking for new stock at K-mart prices, 25% are guys who think NOS parts and accessories should cost the same as what was originally written on the box, and the other 25% are really in the hunt. Among those there to buy are a compilation of every jerk who walked or dragged his knuckles on earth. I listen to excuses like: "I'll think about it", "I'll be back", "I have one just like it at home", I only paid $--- for mine", "Is that $2.00 or $200.00", "I just wanted to see what mine is worth". And then the one person in one hundred (if you are lucky) is pleasant, is really looking for a part at a reasonable price, and actually makes a purchase. I have met lots of friendly and interesting people at Hershey that come back and visit with me every year, from all over the world. The problem is that the rest of them don't walk down the isle. I hope Critterpainter was being a little tongue-in-cheek when he suggested more regulations on venders (we have a too many already). We don't need more restrictions, we need courtesy, consideration, and a little less selfishness. Don't misinterpret my rant as unhappiness with the Hershey meet. It's great fun and I will go every year until I drop, but I believe the flea market is going the way of the Dodo bird. Since the Internet and Ebay, it is obvious that the pickings are getting slimmer and the prices are getting higher. It doesn't make much financial sense to stand around a cold, wet parking lot for a week in hopes of selling your shiny, rare NOS accessory for what it is worth (with people offering you LESS than the asking price), when you can list it on ebay in the comfort of your own home and have people continuously offer you MORE for the same item! Having said all that...I'll see you all at Fall Hershey! rolleyes.gif" border="0<p>[ 03-21-2002: Message edited by: NOSGM ]

NOSGM, the last time I looked this was still a free country and buyers have the right to go where the want in a flea market and stop at whichever vendors appeal to them. They have every right to bargain, chissel and beat your price down as far as they can. I suppose you paid full asking price for everything at your stand when you bought it.<P>Never lose sight of the fact of life that the<BR>vendor is there to serve the buyer. It is not the customer's job to serve the seller. <BR>If the realities of life bother you that much maybe the time has come to give up selling and just enjoy wandering the flea market and seeing the great cars on Saturday.

NOSGM, fair enough. The world changes and we must adjust to those changes. You have adapted well by going to Ebay which is probably the marketplace of the younger generation. Many of us still like to see and handle the part before buying, so Ebay is not for us.<P>When you look around the flea market, the vendors are old, most of the buyers are old and the people showing the older cars on Saturday are old. Go to the awards dinner at ANY Meet and it looks like a nursing home gathering. frown.gif" border="0 The OLD car hobby, and by OLD I mean cars dating before the '60s, is getting old. I am over 70 and have been in the hobby for over 40 years, so I'm not some kid picking on the elderly.<P>The next generation of old car buffs will not view the hobby as we do and probably not pursue it in the manner we have. But then very little is done today in the same way as 50 years ago. <P>Adjust or secumb. smile.gif" border="0

Guest leadfoot

I'm a newby on this forum, but I've got to take exception to the statement that e-bay is an alternative place to find quality NOS parts and automoblia. From my observations, most of the e-bay offerings are not first quality and there is little opportunity to examine large groups of similar parts that many of the Hershey vendors bring.<P>It may be more convenient for a vendor to sit at home an sell on e-bay. But Hershey, and other large meets, are still the best place to hunt for your needs.<p>[ 03-21-2002: Message edited by: leadfoot ]

Thank you all for your spirited dicsussion. My son who is 18 has bought his first car with his own money - a 64 1/2 Mustang. So much for the allegation above that their may be no young folks in the hobby. I am still young at 52 and want to sell at Hershey but can not because those that do not "own" all those empty spaces at Hershey are locked out!!! Again - I repeat - set up a way for new folks to be vendors at Hershey!!!!

Unregistered User Robert-<BR> Open your eyes to what is happening to the collector car parts market, and the Hershey flea market in particular.<BR>I was just pointing out the realities from the sellers perspective, which everyone seems to choose not to think about, as to why there are empty spaces at Hershey. You are absolutely correct that it is the seller's job to serve the buyer, and my 700+ happy Ebay customers will attest to the good service and parts that I provide- parts that never made it to my table at Hershey. Don't forget that, in the end, it is the buyer/restorer who looses when there are no parts to buy. Sure I buy at flea markets for some of my items, but when I do I get there early, visit every vendor, treat them respectfully, and don't insult them when we can't agree on a price...and I don't whine about it all in the process. <BR> wink.gif" border="0<p>[ 03-21-2002: Message edited by: NOSGM ]

NOSGM ...reguarding you watching people go by without walking down your row...many people that are serious shoppers usually have their own "system" for covering the field and will walk every row or if they are young enough, walk both sides of every row....don't expect them to dart down the row you are in until they have worked their way down to it. I for one would walk right on by you....not because you don't have great stuff, but from your posts I have the understanding that you only have GM parts....When I got married my wife had to sell her GM product. ( I will bet that less than half of the people at Hershey are looking for GM parts)<BR> I have only had the pleasure of going to Hershey one time. ( I live on the west coast and work full time), When I was there I noticed three things different about Hershey than the west coast meets I go to.<BR> 1. People shop ALL DAY...in CA the dummies only go from 7 til 1 or two.<BR> 2. Less crowded and easier to navigate due to the smaller crowds<BR> 3. The attendees are there to BUY, in CA meets it seems that families (including grandma and grandchildren) are there just to "check it out" with no desire or intrest in old cars or parts....its kinda like walking through a free museum.<BR> But I did notice in Hershey several spaces that just had a pickup parked, and every now and then someone would walk up and put another " find" in the back and then continue shopping.....These spaces need real vendors in them.

Your are correct about the pickup truck in the spot. What you have is a convienent parking lot, although expensive. But hey, that is the way the system works. No requirement to be a vendor, only a MEMBER.