Headlight trouble

Guest Mr.Lenaghan

Guest Mr.Lenaghan

So My headlights have been giving me quite a hassle. They wont engage. I understand that the motors may have parts that are worn down IN them but the problem seems that they just arent starting up period...:confused:

Guest Mr.Lenaghan

Well I know the internals maybe going bad but I fear it is an electrical problem because I can see the knobs at the end of the motors turn sometimes but not always... Its not that The lights wont go up, it just seems that they wont engage period.

Just to help Ryan clarify a bit.. :)

We met a couple days ago, and I've been trying to help him figure out his headlight problem. It's got me stumped.

First of all, we're dealing with a 1990 Reatta. The motors will not run except on occasion. We tried plugging a new motor in that I know to be good, and it still didn't run.

The problem is not something internal (I.E rollers or crank arms.. yet), but something electrical.

My thought is it's a ground of something of that nature that's making the motors get no power.

If it helps, the car was wrecked and rebuilt to the point where you can't tell the car was wrecked at all.. but something might not have been put back in.

Guest Mr.Lenaghan
Just to help Ryan clarify a bit.. :)

We met a couple days ago, and I've been trying to help him figure out his headlight problem. It's got me stumped.

First of all, we're dealing with a 1990 Reatta. The motors will not run except on occasion. We tried plugging a new motor in that I know to be good, and it still didn't run.

The problem is not something internal (I.E rollers or crank arms.. yet), but something electrical.

My thought is it's a ground of something of that nature that's making the motors get no power.

If it helps, the car was wrecked and rebuilt to the point where you can't tell the car was wrecked at all.. but something might not have been put back in.

What he said.

Guest Mc_Reatta

May be the headlight control module under the windshield washer tank. Assuming the fuses in the underhood relay center are OK since it works sometimes.

Verify that the motors work by applying 12V directly to the motor electrical connection.

IF the motors work, then it is either the headlight switch or the headlight control module.

However, it appears the headlight switch uses the same set of contacts to turn on the lights and send a signal to the headlight module, making the headlight module (as Padgett shows) the problem.

Before rushing out and buying a replacement module. unplug and replug the connection at the module and see if the problem goes away.

Headlight module is located in the engine compartment under the "relay center" which is in front of the air cleaner. Unless you have very small hands, you must move the "relay center" to get to the module

Guest Kingsley

Headlights are my specialty and it would appear that you have received some excellent suggestions. I have headlight modules, used and tested, for $60.00 plus shipping. Check with Mardk he should have them also.

You may wish to take look at my website www.reattaspecialtyparts.com.

Thanks and have a successful day!

Guest Mr.Lenaghan

ok so It worked a bit when I plugged it back in and then it stopped working a bit, so I guess that If I put some contact sealer on it that will fix the problem, Unless this is a sign the module is going bad, what do you guys think?

Guest Mr.Lenaghan

welp, after further tests I have concluded the module went bad, the Motors will go down most of the time I tell em to, and the motors will go up when I clean up the contacts and wiggle the connectors, but if I come back like 3 minutes later they wont work... I will test a good module and if thats the case I will be ecstatic, however if its not... Then I will be terrified because nothing else has been suggested to the problem... O.o

Thanks for all the help guys and Ill let you know ASAP

Guest Mr.Lenaghan

Yes I can crank them manually and they dont bind up, the resistance of the arm is there but nothing else. Ill need an internal Motor kit sometime soon but thats next on the list.

Guest Mr.Lenaghan

not always, They will when I get the connections cleaned up... but If I leave them up then come back a lil while after, they will go down but not go back up. Even If I crank em up though they wont automatically go down

Guest Mr.Lenaghan

well, I got the new module and that seems to have fixed it completely. I have had no short outs or anything, I just need to work on fixing the motors internals themselves to have nice, working headlights again, thank you everyone. Its been awesome, Reatta forums are definitely the most supportive forums I've ever been on. Keep up the great work! :D