Victory Six paint ??

MIClassicGirl

Hi guys, so the car is finally home in the garage! Blown away by how good of shape this car is!!

So, we were looking the car over. I was told by previous owners that the car has always been the forrest green and cream. I've attached a couple of photos that have my husband and I perplexed. The way some of the green has rubbed off around the edges of the windows almost make us think it may have been cream before. There's always what appears to be some pinstriping under the cream in the insert. What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks, Shannon

post-77540-143138720639_thumb.jpg

post-77540-143138720643_thumb.jpg

Is it probable that the pinstripe was green or black and has by now all worn off? Is there ANY raised surface to the stripe area? If worn off, then you would see the brighter, lighter cream color underneath (what looks like a yellow or cream stripe in the photo). That area was protected over time by the darker pinstripe which has now possibly worn away. :confused:

Another thing I read about on this forum (I don't remember where - but was a fairly extensive thread) was the notion of using a rust remover, like CLR, on the worn paint areas. That would remove any rust, calcium, or lime on the surface which would be disrupting the true colors of the paints. (It supposedly doesn't disturb the paint if you are not too aggressive with scrubbing it. Pretty much wipe on heavily, let sit a bit and rinse off with clear water - then dry).

It would be interesting to find out if the paint on your car is original! :)

Good luck.

Would they have painted the car cream with green inserts and then decide during the process to change the colors around? The whole car is green with the cream just under the windows. I would like to be able to restore it back to original colors but this has us wondering what is correct!

I do like the idea of maybe cleaning a spot up with the CLR. Interesting idea. I'm getting the build card from Danielle at the Chrysler museum but she said there was no way to decode. :( So I unfortunately will not know the real color of the car.

Thanks, I knew you guys would have some ideas.

This sounds like the same technique used with the two-tone wheels on my car. With this further info, I suspect they painted the cream color first, just in the areas of the windows. Then, once that flash dried they were able to mask off those small areas and finish the rest of the car with the darker color - green. Once the masking was removed from the cream the pinstripe could be done.

That's why you can see some of the cream color near the corners of the windows where the green has gotten thin from polishing or whatever and the cream oversprayed area is starting to show through. ;)

You can find the original color of the paint if you look on the C.D that you say you purchased from John. If that is no help to you than let me know. I have alot of the original bulletins which list the colors and maybe I can help

I looked at the info in the CD and the color seems to be way off from what the car actually is. And the previous owner has said that the car has always been the forrest green and cream. The interior seems to be like an olive green color.

The CD talks of shades of blue according to serial number. Which this car shows no shades of blue anywhere on it. The fenders are primered currently.

Hi Shannon, I like hearing from people who really care about these great old cars. I am sure you will eventually settle on a colour scheme which suits both the car and you; even if it is different from the original - regardless of what that may have been. As I have suggested to Deerboy, who has also taken on a project and would like to paint it in it's original colour, this decision is one which will be personal to you ,the car's owner. Imagine for a moment that you could go back in time to when the car was new; as a buyer of your new Dodge Victory Six you would have had a choice of colour schemes. May I suggest that you could now choose from what was on offer then? Just a thought!

All the best,

Ray.

Chances are better than not that the service bulletins are correct for your car, alot can happen over time and the original purchaser prob. is not around. The first few years I had my car I though it was a green originally, I looked hard in out of the way places and came up with a green ( which I like ) The bulletins ( that are printed at the time of manuf. ) said that it was a maroon. Sure enough I found the maroon.

Interiors fade and change colors and car get painted thats a fact.

So do you know what the service bulletins say are your original colors, like Ray said its your car and your choice, just curious

Guest Backyardmechanic

Let me let one on a little old time secert.By useing wet paper sand down to bare metalthe size of a 1/2 dollar(Remember these) as you sand you will witness around the sanded spot different colors the last color before the bare metal will be the primer then the top color. do this in a few differnt location.I agree with others,order your NEW 1928 Victory today the color of your choice. :)

Vern

Some of the later paint schemes included a third color, which was painted around the window reveals (the window openings, which appear to be bare metal on your car's photos) and also on the panels below the windows (shown in cream on your car's photos). The location of the pin stripe in the panels on your car appears to be correct. Buyers in 1928 had the option of getting their cars in primer ($50 less) and painting them their own choice of colors. Some people today use this excuse to paint their cars any color they choose. Which is perfectly OK although I suspect we have many more of these cars on the road today "purchased in primer" than originally came out of the factory. The factory painted all cars on one assembly line the same color for a few weeks' production before changing to another color combination. The serial numbers on the CD show when the factory reported a new color for a particular assembly line. Any overlap shows that there was more than one assembly line running at a time. Hence at least two color combinations could have been produced on one day...or even several weeks.