Mike McManus - Atlantic Auto Sales So.Calif

Guest FE-L2-57

Guest FE-L2-57

Does anyone have any sources of old photo's taken at Atlantic Auto Sales from 1955? It was owned and run by Mike McManus and located at 19020 S. Figueroa in So. California, I believe it was in Gardena, or may have been called Atlantic Auto and Truck Wrecking.

My car was purchased there in 1955 from the family I bought it from and it would be nice to look through some old photos and see if I can see my car anywahere in the photographs. Or does anyone know if someone ended up with the old business records or if they survived after Mike McManus passed away, that may show who he bought and sold the cars from his car lot to?

hello i remember mikes yard in gardena,it was called classic cars at that time,it was more of a wrecking yard that sold antique and classic cars and parts,it closed as i remember late 60s or early seventies,i believe mike moved to the midwest somewhere,i believe most of the good stuff was auctioned off and the rest scrapped,i remember a burgundy ruxton in the show room with red interior,alot of auburns and packards,as i remember rudolph valentinos packard phaeton was there it had been in a garage fire but was very savable,as far as records go i imagine they went with mike

justdave

• 4 years later...

I know this is an old post but did you have any luck finding family members? We too have a car that was purchased from Mike McManus, although the sales paperwork we have state his business was called Atlantic Auto & Truck Sales - this would have been in 1957. 

The "Valentino" Packard was owned by an old friend of mine, Nyle Reed, for many years in California. Nyle was well known for his collection of L29 Cords and vintage racecars. During the 1970s he reproduced and manufactured some neat speed equipment for Model Ts. After Nyle passed away, the Packard was sold to another dealer I know who cleaned it up and resold it at Barrett Jackson as noted above. Proof that the car actually belonged to Valentino was always rather sketchy at best. It was, however, a neat Packard with several "custom" updates and modifications.