For Sale: 1938 Packard Six convertible coupe

Matt Harwood

This 1938 Packard Six convertible coupe is a nice little find, an older restoration that has been driven very little since it was finished. Black body, black leather, tan canvas top. Surprisingly peppy six cylinder; this is one of the first Packards I've driven that I might consider "agile" in traffic. Light, quick, and easy to handle. Shows 59,589 miles, but I don't know if it's authentic--best to assume it isn't. The '38 Six was on a longer wheelbase than the '37, and the auxiliary seats moved inside to eliminate the rumble seat.

Paint and bodywork are very good with few signs of being driven, but a bit of shelf wear. Most notable issue is a chip the size of a quarter at the base of the grille, which could probably be touched up easily since it's not in a very visible spot. There are a few chips along the edge of the driver's door, probably from someone being careless when opening it, but otherwise the paint is very good. Chrome appears restored throughout with no damage and few pits in any of the cast parts. Hood ornament shows better than average detail for a re-plated part, bumpers are excellent, and the grille shutters look great and function correctly.

The black leather interior is nicer than it looks in photos--for some reason, black leather always tends to look dusty and gray in photos. No rips or tears, leather is soft. Jump seats in back are best reserved for kids or people you don't like, but in excellent condition. Gauges all work except for the clock. Had a radio originally, but it is missing. Heater works. Add-on turn signals use the fog lamps up front as indicators. Convertible top was new when the restoration was done and in good condition except that a small 1-inch section at the beltline has come loose from under the welting near the rear window opening.

Engine starts easily and idles so quietly that you're tempted to hit the starter button again. Runs down the road with great torque and a pleasant sound. Strong hydraulic brakes, easy shifting transmission with synchromesh on 2nd and 3rd. We just changed all the fluids, flushed the fuel and cooling systems, and gave it a thorough tune up, so it runs very well. Extremely clean undercarriage with no rust, and very little road grime. Recent whitewall tires on the original wheels, with an ancient spare in the trunk.

A nice little Packard with a top that goes down and is a lot of fun to drive. Asking $39,900 or best offer.

post-31138-143138717609_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143138717611_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143138717614_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143138717616_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143138717619_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143138717621_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143138717623_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143138717626_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143138717628_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143138717631_thumb.jpg

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)

Guest John_Lawrence

Not a "115C", that would be a 1937, yours is a 1938 "Six" and a very nice one. It is going to give someone many nice rides.

(o[]o)

I just uploaded more photos and information at http://vintagemotorcarsohio.com/Details_new.php?id=124. The car really drives nicely, and I'm quite impressed with the six's performance. I didn't expect it work as well as it does. Then again, it IS a Packard...

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)

• 4 weeks later...