1952 Ford Car Customline

Guest mando13

Guest mando13

Hello to all.This is my first time to post so I hope I am doing this correctly.

I have the above model car that I am having a problem with.

The engine is a 215 6 cylinder 6 volt with a 1 barrel carb.

The problem is that after I run it for about 20 minutes or so,If I shut it off and restart it,it will start ok.However,If I shut it off and wait for about 15 minutes before I start it up again,it has a very hard time starting.

Don't know if its the carberator maybe draining off or maybe a bad coil.

I rebuilt the carb.about a year ago.I would like some opinions or suggestions on this problem if possible.Could it also be a Vapor Lock problem?Its all origional.Thanks for your help.

Mando

Guest Jim_Edwards

Sounds as if the starter may be the problem. If it acts as if the starter is struggling the problem may be heat build up. The second starting attempt after letting it sit for a few minutes is giving plenty of time for heat build up to cause everything in the starter to expand and create issues. While the coil could be an issue the points could also be an issue.

Guest mando13

Thanks Jim for the reply.However.I don't think its the starter because it does turn over pretty good,just won't start.Yesterday,I noticed that if I pump the gas paddle for about 6 or more times,it will eventually start.What I think is happening is that the fuel bowl is some how draining itself into the intake and thus the reason for having to pump the gas paddle.I know some about motors but not enough to troubleshoot the problem.When I rebuilt the carb,I had no choice because the carberator as a whole was not available.I am still open for suggestions so if you have anymore tips or ideas on this problem,please let me know.I apreciate your help and that of others that can help.

Mando

Guest rsd9699

Using the shop manual - do a pressure and volumn test on the fuel pump.

Loose screws on the fuel pump housing?

Are there any fuel fumes (signs of leakage)?

Will a shot of starting fluid help during the hard start time period?

Ron

Guest mando13

Thanks Ron.

I thought that the fuel pump might be the problem so I replaced it about 3 weeks ago but still have the same problem.I also cleaned out the steel fuel line from front to back and also have a new fuel filter with new rubber lines that are in front and back of the filter.I think that I will try the starter fluid trick next time to see if it starts right away.What is strange is that the minute that I turn the engine off and than back on again,it starts right away.

However,if I let it sit for about 15 minutes or so and than try to start it up,it cranks ok but will not start.I sure hope that I can figure this one out so that I can drive it more often.Again,thanks to you and hello to everyone in this forum.

Mando

Guest Jim_Edwards

Going back to an issue I once had with a single barrel carb on a Chevy six, I should have remembered the problem was a ball bearing check valve that had dissimilar metals corrosion issues with the carb main body. The function of that check valve was to keep fuel from draining out of the bowl. I suspect your carb may have a similar issue or did the check valve drop out when you were rebuilding it. It will be a very small ball bearing.

Guest rsd9699

I agree with Jim - fuel related to accelerator pump and/or passages. A good check of the carb is in order. Floats not adjusted or trash in the bowl or passages or missing check ball or leather seal has taken a set. With engine off, air cleaner off is there a good jet of fuel discharged when you move the throttle?

Ron

Guest mando13

There is where I think the problem is,carb.,fuel draining out of the bowl.I am going to take it apart again Saturday and check all parts inside of carb.including the ball bearings.

I might of missed that little ball bearing.Will let you know.Thanks to all for your help,tips,and suggestions.

Mando

Guest rsd9699

Gas should not disappear from a carb in a few minutes - it takes weeks for that to happen unless the casting is cracked or porous or a gasket is bad.

Hopefully it is something minor like the ball stuck or missing or out of place.

Ron

• 2 weeks later...