Sign in to follow this  
De Soto Frank

"Progress" (?!!)

You SUV haters will love this, we saw a stretched Ford Excursion with tandem rear wheels in Manhattan yesterday. It had to be 40 feet long.

Yeah, I know. I saw it from here, too. rolleyes.gif" border="0<P>And when you think how comparably less expensive and more rewarding a simple penis implant would be. Shameful! tongue.gif" border="0<P>Actually those are fairly common. I saw my first about 3 months after the Excursion was released. They're almost always white, but I've seen 1 or 2 in black as well. Makes you wonder why airport limo Travelalls and Marathons were never chic. <P>Oh yeah, unchecked hedonism and self-involvement was supposed to <I>die</I> in the late '60's. I forgot. frown.gif" border="0

Model A Hal, don't get me started on teen girl drivers. As an avid motorcycle driver in the summer my motto is either drive behind them or stop completely to let them have some room. I have on at least 4 occasions been almost killed by a car full of teen girls. The teen boys are usually driving like a bat out of hell to catch up to the teen girls so they don't stay in sight for long and seem to crash by themselves. When the girls are alone it doesn't seem so bad, but group them-watch out.<P>On one occasion on my motorcycle I had one young lady try to occupy the same curb lane position I was in and I was boxed in front and rear because of morning traffic. I honked the horn repeatedly and was yelling at the top of my lungs trying to get her attention and was rapidly running out of road to move over into when I realized that I had half a tire width before I was going to hit the curb. I booted the passenger door as hard as I could when she finally looked at me and stomped the gas and took off, must have dirtied her drawers thinking she hit me. Scary to think she would just take off like that though.<P>As a motorcycle rider you get to see the worst habits of all types of drivers, I learned early on to drive as though I was invisible and to make eye contact with drivers at intersections before venturing forth. This attitude has saved my hide more than once. I never used to be a believer in the "loud pipes save lives" motto but I have to admit a loud bike gets peoples attention and they show some respect and don't tailgate.<P>One of the jokes around here is that the worst drivers are the old men wearing hats, without the hat they seem normal but put a hat on their head and all discretion goes out the window. It seems that the hat restricts head movement. I was wondering if this a multinational phenomena or typically only Canadian. Seems that beret wearers are not as bad as the fedora types? The backwards baseball type is mainly a danger to himself. What's everyones take on that?

Chuck, the old man in the hat is universal, as is the elderly woman of lower stature than the steering wheel. wink.gif" border="0

I have found that assuming every driver on the highway is an idiot is a valued form of defensive driving and self preservation. ~ hvs