i sold everything and bought that ONE car!

drumyn29

Guest Jim_Edwards

Wow, not many of those that have escaped being made a dragster or dirt track queen in times past. From the hood, I'm guessing that old girl may have seen a dirt track or two in times past.

You've really got your work cut out for you to say the least. Hope you have lots of money and know a really good divorce attorney. It is for certain you'll need the former, and maybe the latter as mountains of the former go into the project.

Was it originally a pickup or sedan? I like all Willys coupes, gassers and originals. There are plenty of guys that would take this and turn it into a gasser. I'm not sure there are any that would restore it though. I think that might be an insurmountable task.

good luck on the project. it can be done but not many would try. you really need to love this car to take this on. you might want to look for another one to put two together. could be less costly in the end and maybe some better parts. skyler

Guest shadetree77
Holy Smokes, that's a rust bucket. I hope you are a good welder.:eek:

I don't think there's much "bucket" left at this point! You are braver than I my friend. My wife would kill me if I brought that home. Good luck!!

Well, we certainly are doing a lot to encourage this soul, and to cheer him up! Smiles! Hang in there friend, I know well what it's like -- to be down on one's luck! Just funnin, you can do it!

Guest windjamer
:) Drumyn29, when I brought my PROJECT?? home in 1996 my kids thought I should be commited, I heard things like it will never get done,impossable and it will look good with flowers planted in it.:eek:In 2006 I finished it and today its a senior car.:DAINT nobudy laughing now. You CAN do it, keep us posted on progress.

You'll get far more help and understanding on the HAMB website. If it is the car you have always wanted, take your time and rebuild it one piece at a time. When it is all finished you can listen to the AACA folks tell you you ruined the car. :rolleyes:

any willys guys out there? help!

• 2 months later...
Guest Jim_Edwards

Not really sure exactly how much progress you've made so the best comment is "hang in there."

I don't know that I would have the courage to take it on without having metal breaks, a press, and an English wheel to shape all the metal replacement you appear to be facing.

Keep at it drumyn. When I brought my first Crosley home from Iowa in 1998, my wife walked out the front door of the house and said "what are you going to do with that pile of junk?" With 2 years of love and dedication (and a lot of days and nights since then...more to come), I ended up with something to be proud of. It is now a multiple concours class winner and a lot of fun to show and drive. You can do it, just stick with it and don't let anyone discourage you. Best of luck. If I can ever help from here, just send me a note!!!

IF that car can be proved to have raced 25 years ago it could be on the show field at Hershey or any other AACA National Meet in Class 24A. It is rolling piece of AMERICAN HISTORY. :)

Oh....like my buddy's car??? Sorry for the hot rod photos and not restoration photos, but I couldn't resist.

Guest straight shooter

Why were the Willys turned into gassers more than the others makes, what were the advantages? I have never been able to figure this one out.

See, anybody can restore a complete rust free car. When you have to splice together pieces from multiple bodys and take them apart right down to factory welds and then some, well, that seperates the men from the boys.

It would be amusing to keep the scoop and have a fake 6-71 on top of a stock 4-banger when it's done.

There may be more out there, but from 1961 to 2011 I've only seen TWO stone stock 38-42 Willys Coupes.

Bob, did you seen the unrestored on outside of Boston last year that was posted on the HAMB? The guy was an appraiser doing an estate appraisal. The guys on there went bananas.