Who ya gonna call...

Bushwack

All I can find is option code UZ3 "Telephone" for Riviera in 1988 and 1989 Product Manual.

If it was available earlier, I do not have those manuals.

There was a write-up in the Bugle probably back in 2008 or before, Mike Brown in Dallas had aquired two 1989 red Reatta coupes that were equipped with cell phones, installed by the Dallas Zone office. These were Buick district company cars and they used the Riviera parts.

There is no recorded information that show the phone were available for Reatta but since the Riviera and Reatta shared the same center console, several examples have surfaced over the years. We can conclude that a customer requested a phone and the dealership made it happen.

There is nothing I can find in the 1990 Product Manual dealing with cell phones on any Buick.

Possibly be that time, there were so many available phone providers that GM let the aftermarket handle the installation.

In the case of the Riviera phone, there was a special cradle inside the center armrest. The phone resided there. I cannot find anything that gives a clue to the cost, but I suspect it was $1500 + at that time.

The parts book, in section 21.444 (accessories) list antenna, batteries, brackets, harness, (a $275 installation package) and other related parts.

If you have a 1988 or 1989 service manual there may be some details there.

The 89 FSM devotes quite a few pages too the Riviera telephone. You could actually dial the phone from the touch screen. It even had a built in telephone directory to store numbers that could be selected from the touch screen. Amazing thing for it's time.

I bring it up based on the description in this CL post (1990 buick reatta). Of course, it may not be a dealer installed phone,...and so on and so forth. But as curiosity grows, anyone have a picture of the phone that was an option for the Riviera of that era?

BTW...if Mike R. pops in, maybe he has something to share with us regarding the CL post. The car is in his neighborhood.

Edited by Bushwack (see edit history)

I bring it up based on the description in this CL post (1990 buick reatta). Of course, it may not be a dealer installed phone,...and so on and so forth. But as curiosity grows, anyone have a picture of the phone that was an option for the Riviera of that era?

BTW...if Mike R. pops in, maybe he has something to share with us regarding the CL post. The car is in his neighborhood.

I've bought and seen a couple cars with an analog cell phone installed. None of them were dealer installed. One of the cars I have ('90 Maui blue/blue) has a phone attached to the side of the console.

Ronnie is correct on this, the integrated cell phone was usable directly from the CRT, or one could use the handset as well. Interesting that the CRT had it's own name/number directory (stored in the BCM EEPROM as it happens), and the phone had an additional speed dial memory of it's own. When used through the CRT there was a special overhead console (with courtesy lamps and microphone) on a Riviera equipped with the cell phone, and the received audio was output through the speakers of the stereo system, much like current on-star setups. This is also why the radio module has an additional auxiliary input, which auto-mutes the other sources when in use; it was used to route the cell phone audio to the drivers front speaker.

The phone itself was a Motorola transceiver/handset customized for GM to operate over the E&C bus in cars that were so equipped. Officially, this was an option only in the Riviera, not the Reatta. By pulling the right strings, I am sure one could have gotten it in the Reatta or any other similar E platform car of the time. Was probably offered in the Eldorado, and I know I have seen it in a few Toronado/Trofeo with the VIC touchscreen.

Too bad these are functionally useless now, since they operated on old analog cell systems. With no path to migrate to a digital phone, it is nothing but a paperweight and historical curiosity.

KDirk

Attached is a photo from the 1988 Product Manual.

The item started at the bottom of the previous column and said

"Don't let traffic keep you from the business at hand. This dealer-installed (factory

installation available on Riviera) car telephone offers the clarity of an in-home phone......"

post-30596-143138716362_thumb.jpg

Guest Kingsley

Coincidentally, I sold some of my products to a gentleman in Texas who now owns the only two Reattas that were ever produced with mobile phones.

An article on this appeared in a BUGLE issue in 2001, as I recall, and he just recently sent me a copy. It was joint venture between, again as I recall, perhaps Delco and another leading electroncs firm.

After the decision was made not to pursue the matter any further as it would have been entirely too expensive to try to sell as an option, the two cars were sold to GM employees on a very restrictive basis. My customer was able to buy one on the first round and he later was able to acquire the other one from a fellow GM friend.

I will develop more info and pass it along.

Added: As I go over the previous post by Barney and others, it would appear that the subject of his post is the same as that which appeared in the BUGLE so that covers the situation quite well. Thanks to all who commented.

Edited by Kingsley (see edit history)

Attached is a photo from the 1988 Product Manual.

The item started at the bottom of the previous column and said

"Don't let traffic keep you from the business at hand. This dealer-installed (factory

installation available on Riviera) car telephone offers the clarity of an in-home phone......"

I had that phone in my Reatta, except mine was mounted to hang next to the CRT on the dash. I sent the pictures over to Ronnie to download, but for some reason I have 38 pictures, but Ronnie can only download 20. When someone comes home or over and can download them to send, I will send them over to Ronnie.

I just had my neighbor send the pics over to Ronnie. I am sure mine is aftermarket [maybe dealer installed] but just something to look at.

Edited by DAVES89 (see edit history)

I bring it up based on the description in this CL post (1990 buick reatta).

This car will be worth thousands some day as there were only 24,000 cars made over 4 years and probably only a couple of thousand or less left on the roads. has been in the sun and the car will need to be painted some day.

I wonder how many Reattas are left in driving condition? Hopefully a lot more than he thinks.

This car will be worth thousands some day as there were only 24,000 cars made over 4 years and probably only a couple of thousand or less left on the roads. has been in the sun and the car will need to be painted some day.

I wonder how many Reattas are left in driving condition? Hopefully a lot more than he thinks.

About 61%, which seems pretty impressive to me.

http://forums.aaca.org/f116/reatta-survival-rate-291580.html