Can any one give me info on this car??

Guest MickeyMickey

Guest MickeyMickey

Ok, I figured out how to post pics,

This is what granddaddy left me has been in garage, from info I have gathered, 64? Buick Wagon, model 4635 tried to find out more but cant find info anywhere...have all numbers and tons of pictures, not a scratch on this car..interior perfect, but I dont know what original should look like..??? This car is flawless...but dirty has been in garage.

Thank for your help in advance..

If I did it right here are a few pics, I would like to sell it, but have no clue what its worth or where to look..:D

DSCF0989.jpg

DSCF1012.jpg

DSCF0998.jpg

DSCF1002.jpg

Guest Jim_Edwards

You aren't going to get anymore "original" than you see with that car/wagon. It's in pristine condition, a major rarity for a vehicle of the type.

Now what is it worth? For someone wanting what appears to be for all purposes a "new" 1964 Buick LeSabre Wagon you might get $8-10K. In a car auction it might bring a bit more if the right folks were to show up. Top value for one with less than 10,000 miles on it would be in the $15-16 thousand range.

If it were mine and I were to list it on ebay I'd set the auction up with the starting price of $5,000 with a $7,000 Reserve. I'd add a "buy it now" option at $8,000 or more. But like any auction, the right people need to see it to maximize the selling price. It may take several weeks and multiple re-listings on ebay to achieve a reasonable selling bid.

You might want to look at this link to get a since of the history of Iona Body

Ionia Manufacturing Company, Ionia Mfg. Co., Don R. Mitchell, Ypsilanti Reed Furniture Co., Ionia Michigan, Station Wagon, Buick - CoachBuilt.com

Nice wagon. Info on Buicks can be found here - 1964 Buick, Special, LeSabre, Wildcat, Riviera, Electra . You might have to register on the site for more detailed info on the option codes. 1964 was an odd year for wagons. The 1964 LeSabre wagon used Invicta series codes and used the Invicta chassis and engine but was trimmed as a LeSabre. The 445 on the aircleaner says it has the stock 401 in it.

Guest Jim_Edwards
Its got 98,000 miles on it..I think its nice, but just not for me..:) Thank you for your answer..

With that many miles on it you'll need to expect a lesser value. I'd knock $1-1.5 thousand off the above. It's still a fine looking example that has obviously been well cared for.

Guest my3buicks

I think Jims figures are low - wagons right now are kind of hot in the market, especially for nice ones - and let's face it, a Buick wagon was top of the line in the wagon world in 1964.

Get the car professionaly appraised and don't just go with heresay on value.

Here are values from Old Cars Price Guide - just showing you yet another list of values:

# 1 $18K, # 2 $12.6, # 3 $8.1

Jim said "If it were mine and I were to list it on ebay I'd set the auction up with the starting price of $5,000 with a $7,000 Reserve. I'd add a "buy it now" option at $8,000 or more. "

I say, if it were mine I wouldn't do what Jim says.

I think a lot depends on what that paint really looks like and how straight the body is and what the undercarriage looks like. I agree that wagons are hot, but they need to be really nice. This does look good in the pictures, BUT, it has to be straight & rust free to command real money.

Btw, price guides are worthless. Put it on ebay with GREAT pictures and an even better description. Start off at 5k no reserve. Assuming you have good ebay feedback, provide a phone number, answer all questions and allow for personal inspection on the longest possible auction you will get close to market for mid fall.

You can also try a land auction, transport, fees, time, etc and make a few dollars more and wish you put it on ebay. If you don't post great pictures of every square inch don't expect to do well.

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)

Guest MickeyMickey

Has no rust, body is perfect im going to get out and wash..the paint is unreal, been covered for 40 years..in a garage..to me it looks brand new, but Im not a car wiz...Im a chevy girl myself..:) I really appreciate the help..since I have posted, on a few other sites too, I have had a huge respsponse , and alot of info...Now dont know if I should sell it..

If it's as nice as it looks in the pictures you will do well with it. Take some after you wash it and also if you can take some of the underneath of the car.

Also, in the ebay auction, be sure to show all the paperwork you can find for the car, as many detail of the history, when your grand dad bought it, where he bought it, where he stored it, etc, etc. The point being the more information you provide the better you will do in the auction.

Guest MickeyMickey

If Im researching it right, there were alittle over 3,000 made..401 nailhead, learning alot about this car..I guess, I keep looking around , waiting on box of papers that came with it, should tell alot.

Interesting that according to the id plate it was painted the same color top and bottom. The code 05B tell you it was built in the second week of May 1964. It was obviously well optioned from all of the codes in the ACC line. A trawl through some of the posts here might help - Buick Decoding and Identification - it seems there is not a book that covers all of this.

It looks to have the original protection paint slapped on around the id plate.

I see it has A/C, power windows and a remote outside mirror amongst other things. Both the Turbine 300 and Turbine 400 trans were options on these. It probably cost almost as much as an Electra 225 when it was new.

Another site that might be worth a look - I haven't investigated it closely yet - http://www.v8buick.com/?

Edited by nzcarnerd (see edit history)

Guest my3buicks

Model 4635 had production of 6517, it was the 2 seat wagon - model 4645 was the 3 seat wagon - so total production for 64 Buick Full size wagons was 10,520

That was the last year for the full size Buick wagon until they saw reintroduction in 1970.

Guest MickeyMickey

I thank you guys alot, for your help and yes, I will post after clean...I know I am going to sell it. As I have a few projects going on now. But it sure is a nice cruiser..

Guest Jim_Edwards
I think Jims figures are low - wagons right now are kind of hot in the market, especially for nice ones - and let's face it, a Buick wagon was top of the line in the wagon world in 1964.

There are a lot of people that would justifiably challenge that last statement. You need to take a serious look at a '64 Mercury Colony Park wagon. You may just change your mind.

Guest Jim_Edwards
How long did your Granddad own it? Factory air in a 64 wagon is not a common find and will certainly help boost the appeal.

Depends upon what part of the country one might have been in in 1964. One would have been hard pressed to find many cars on a dealers lot in the Southern half of the Country other than strip down models that didn't have factory air. Most particularly station wagons because they were the vehicle to have if one had a large family or used it in a business. Women loved them because it was easy to cart all the kids and groceries.

Guest my3buicks

nah, I will stick to that statement - Even though Mercury's were a competitor of the Buick line of that vintage, Buick's still had a little more upper crust/luxury snob appeal at that point. Let's face it, Mercury didn't even have anything to compete against the Electra 225 Series, or even the Riviera series. Mercury line lined up closer to the LeSabre & Wildcat series. Colony Park wagons are sharp(I'm a sucker for a wood grain wagon) but in the day - I still think the Buick wagon would have carried more prestige.

Guest my3buicks
Depends upon what part of the country one might have been in in 1964. One would have been hard pressed to find many cars on a dealers lot in the Southern half of the Country other than strip down models that didn't have factory air. Most particularly station wagons because they were the vehicle to have if one had a large family or used it in a business. Women loved them because it was easy to cart all the kids and groceries.

In 64?

Guest MickeyMickey

Not sure how long he had it, or if has been painted..I know he had a few cars, and left this one for me..This week end will be washed and lots of pictures taken, the interior is unreal, never seen the pattern before. Like I said had been covered, here in Az, garage..never seen the sun..

So 401 nailhead, is correct then? from the numbers I got off engine..and just researching.

Guest Jim_Edwards
In 64?

Yes in 1964 and even before. Our family's first car with factory air was a 1953 Ford, followed by a 1955 Mercury and so on and so on. I presently have a '57 Caddy with factory air and two '62 Olds Starfires with factory air. Factory air was a rather common thing by the time 1964 rolled around.

Yes in 1964 and even before. Our family's first car with factory air was a 1953 Ford, followed by a 1955 Mercury and so on and so on. I presently have a '57 Caddy with factory air and two '62 Olds Starfires with factory air. Factory air was a rather common thing by the time 1964 rolled around.

Being raised in Southern Arizona, I'd say that factory air was pretty common by 1964. Might be a sunbelt thing though, maybe in the northern parts of the country it was uncommon then.

Not sure how long he had it, or if has been painted..I know he had a few cars, and left this one for me..This week end will be washed and lots of pictures taken, the interior is unreal, never seen the pattern before. Like I said had been covered, here in Az, garage..never seen the sun..

So 401 nailhead, is correct then? from the numbers I got off engine..and just researching.

Yes the 401 was standard in these wagons. The only option was the 425.

The regular LeSabre sedans used the new 300 V8 as standard.

As someone else commented the LeSabre wagon was a prestige line this year. Odd though that Buick decided to drop the full size wagons from '65 and went for the stretched Skylark Sport Wagons instead.

Guest Jim_Edwards
Being raised in Southern Arizona, I'd say that factory air was pretty common by 1964. Might be a sunbelt thing though, maybe in the northern parts of the country it was uncommon then.

Probably so. But then where does the Sun Belt begin and end? Factory air cars would likely have been somewhat uncommon in much of California in 1964 just as they would have been totally uncommon in Maine. I can tell you I enjoyed the heck out the factory air in my new '65 Mustang 2+2 when I was stationed at Marine Corps Air Station Yuma, Az. The only place cool in Yuma was at 30,000 feet above it.:)

Guest my3buicks

The color was originally Tawny Mist (code T) the the roof color is the original color or close to it - the bottom has been painted what looks very much like Buick's 1961 Cordovan

Guest MickeyMickey

Well I have the car home now, and Im more pleased now with it than when it was filthy dirty...will have pictures up soon, however I have decided to sell it.

I said this car was amazing even dirty, goodness, I cant believe how clean it it..now..The interior is beautiful!! Had to charge battery , but fired right up..

Thanks for all the replies, I will upload some pictures..today.....:D

• 1 month later...
Guest MickeyMickey

I still have it, have had a ton of people looky loo, What info are you wanting?? I have a ton more great pics, if you want but email would be better, takes to long to load all here..:)

In 1965, 23.17% of American cars had factory air, according to the 1966 Automotive News Alamanac. In '62, the number was 11.26% (I don't have '63-'64 data), but the number rose about 5% annually in those years. Throw in power windows and you have a nicely-equipped wagon that was near the top at GM for '64.

As 2-seaters go, Chrysler's New Yorker Town & Country cost a lot more, at $4,721 fob versus $3,554 for the LeSabre, followed by the Colony Park at $3,423. The Olds Dynamic 88 ($3,468), Dodge Custom 880 ($3,305) and Chrysler Newport ($3,414) competed in the Buick's price range, but oddly, the Pontiac Bonneville Safari (only a 2-seat offered) was GM's most-expensive wagon, at $3,633. (Let that be our lesson for today, as it's news to me, too!).

MickeyMickey, your wagon was built in Flint with a boatload of options, but the lower repaint may take a bit of a hit for a purist. It would be nice if the options can be decoded; does the car have a power seat, too?

When you get ready to sell, let us know so we can post it elsewhere, like on the Station Wagon Forum, etc.

It's a fine wagon that many would be proud to own.

TG

Guest my3buicks

Good information TG, I guess near 100% of the 23.17 % must have lived in the Southern used car dealer lots. That's slightly less than 1 in 4 cars came with air and I am sure more were seen in the southern states, but that sure doesn't sound like it was common in 64 yet, common would have been more like 3 out of every 4 cars having it.

Interesting about the Pontiac also - Pontiac tended to throw a lot of content in there cars in that era I wonder what the outcome would have been once you optioned them out - I bet the Buick quickly became more expensive.

Another thought and would be interesting to know - the Sportwagon was being positioned to be Buick's top wagon in 65 as the full size wagon line would disappear from Buick until 70 - I know there were two regular SportWagon's in 64 and also a higher end Sportwagen Custom in 64 - I wonder where it's base price was.

Yet another thought, The year prior, the Invicta wagon was the top of the line Buick, with it being dropped it could have been hard for Buick to Jump the LeSabre price to be above the Bonneville when it would have been more price equal to the Catalina in 63.

Again, great info.

Edited by my3buicks (see edit history)

hello jim, ford didn't offically offer "factory" air conditioning untill 1955, i've read a posting about someone who bought a 1953 ford with air conditioning down in longview, texas. seems the father was a neighbor of a ford dealership partner, that's much like the houston,texas businessman who ordered his 1927 or 1928 cadillac to be custom fitted with air conditioning. but for post WWII american cars here's the list of factory a/c introduction by year and make

1953 buick

1953 cadillac

1953 oldsmobile

1953 chrysler

1954 pontiac

1954 desoto

1954 hudson

1954 nash

1955 packard

1955 chevrolet

1955 mercury

1955 lincoln

1955 ford

charles coker, 1953 pontiac tech advisor

Even when in school in Michigan, I always looked for air cars - heavy duty battery/alternator/radiator and quick demist in the morning. Vega's with a/c were the only ones that got a real radiator. Will bet that most of that 23% in 1965 were TOL cars and not loss leaders.

Will mention that a/c and automatics usually went together but for GM the sign of a really interesting car was always "not available with air conditioning".

Living in Florida, all of my cars have a/c and am just as happy with my RA/4spd since the RA-IV was "not available..."