The Hiccup.

Guest Double M

Guest Double M

The Hiccup. I have not seen any reference to this "problem" so I named it "The Hiccup" The Hiccup happens when coasting in Overdrive at almost any speed. The transmission sounds like it want to downshift but doesent and stay in the higher gear until either the speed or rpms lower enough to do so. It happens at any speed, even a 10mph, if I am coasting.

Coasting can be defined for those of you more concerned with the dictionary then automobiles is when you remove your foot from the gas pedal.

It can be heard very distinctly, now that there is hole in my muffler and happens in such a fashion that it almost seems intended. It is almost like a crazy cruise control, but the cruise control is not on and in fact I never used it or tried to on any car.

Car sound while coasting...

grrrrrrrrr... Hiccup... grrrrrrrr... hiccup...

grrrrrrrrr... Hiccup... grrrrrrrr... hiccup...

grrrrrrrrr... Hiccup... grrrrrrrr... downshift.

At low speeds it just keeps doing it, at highway speeds, once the rpms and the speed drops, it downshifts quite normally. But it seems like it is keeping it the overdrive? gear perhaps to increase MPG? This is nothing new, it has been this way since I bought it, just over a year ago.

Do all the Reattas do this or is mine just special?!

I noticed mine doing this last weekend.. Or at least something similar. I only noticed it at highway speeds.

Beats me what it is.. Not affecting my drivability any, and only dose it occasionally.

Anyone know if it might be associated with my E026 code I have been getting?

When you take your foot off the gas (TPS less than 3% or about .5v) the TCC is supposed to disconnect. Just for S&G I'd try monitoring the TPS reading and the TCC icon (think is the MED fan light in diagnostics for a 90) while this is going on.

Guest Double M
When you take your foot off the gas (TPS less than 3% or about .5v) the TCC is supposed to disconnect. Just for S&G I'd try monitoring the TPS reading and the TCC icon (think is the MED fan light in diagnostics for a 90) while this is going on.

...and what may a TPS be? Never mind how to monitor it!

I have never heard what you describe but I have always felt something somewhat similar, usually at middling type speeds, maybe 35-55 mph. I have tried watching the injector pulse width to see if the DCFO, or Deceleration Fuel Cut Off was activating. I never found anything conclusive but I assumed this is what is happening.

I have 4 gm cars and all to a certain extent do the same thing, I think it is the transmission as 2seater said it happens at 35 to 55. It seems to be off the power curve of the trans, just goes blah. It is kind of annoying when the speed limit is 45.

TPS is Throttle Position Sensor and can be read at ED01 in diagnostics (reading replaces the odo in a '90). Idle should read between .38v and .42v, WOT is "over 4.0 v" and TCC disengage with foot off gas is below about .5v .

Lockup can happen in both 3rd (above about 38 mph) and 4th (above 45 mph).

My 88 runs 1300 rpm at 46 mph in o/d lockup smoothly,

Guest Double M

Okay...

Thanx, but I havent a clue what any of that means. I dont have a clue how to work the Diagnostics and havent found a simple "how to" yet.

Perhaps I should ask this...

Can it be replaced? It is obviously not functioning correctly. I hope it isnt part of some other part that cant be found or costs more than the whole car cost me.

Seriously though, thank you Padgett, I am sure it helps if I knew what it meant.

Guest Mc_Reatta

On the CRT, there are a group of triangles displayed below the selected readout when in data mode.

One of them is for the status of the TCC.

You can see its status while you read the TPS voltage reading at the same time.

If the triangle is just an outline, the TCC is disengaged, if it is solid, it's engaged.

If you suspect a problem with the TCC, especially an intermittent one, I would suggest disconnecting the connector and cleaning the contacts and reconnecting. You can test the operation of the solenoid by turning it on and off via ECM Override ES01 while you are running down the road also.