GOOD NEWS!!!!!!!!!

Guest steveskyhawk

Guest steveskyhawk

Ronnie's poll inspired me to share this great news with all of you.

A non forum member in conjunction with a forum lurker (with 2 Reattas) have conspired to reproduce the "BUICK" chrome letters that adorn our taillights.

I have no idea how they will market them but they will be cast and triple chrome plated. (not plastic) I have seen the tooling and they promise to be gorgeous.

If these letters prove to be of high quality and are marketed with a reasonable price, I suggest that we honor this person(s) with the Peterson Award. This accomplishment certainly ranks up there with previous recipient's qualifications.

Here Here!

The letter inlays will be a welcome addition to the small but growing selection of reproduction parts being offered by various sources. What would really be outstanding would be a reproduction of the outer plastic tail lamp lens.

The lens is a part that will be giving us fits in several more years, as eventually polishing will no longer yield decent results. I already have one spare that has many small stress-crack like "fractures" in the plastic. Age and UV exposure will only make this worse over time. Ultimately, it will be very difficult to find decent used ones that will be presentable from being polished out for this reason.

Not to get off on a tangent, but if someone could recreate the OEM center cap emblems, then we will have several of the commonly needed items taken care of. From there, maybe we can eventually move on to larger items like weather stripping and headlamp switches.

Would also be nice to have some 88 hood emblems done someday. Very well done repro's of the larger 89-91 are available, but for the purist who has an 88, new replacements would sure be nice. Just some thoughts.

KDirk

I have an NOS tailight outer lens but I haven't decided what I am going to do with it yet.

As do I. Also sitting on another 8(?) complete assemblies. I really have a parts hoarding problem. Thing is if I see something pop up priced too cheaply I feel compelled to buy it.

As do I. Also sitting on another 8(?) complete assemblies. I really have a parts hoarding problem. Thing is if I see something pop up priced too cheaply I feel compelled to buy it.

I agree with that. I just got off the phone after buying a Instrument cluster [$10.00] and wiper switch [$5.00] from a salvage yard in Iowa. They are a yard specializing in cars 1998 and newer. They are closing out all old inventory. [Headight switch and CRT were sold].

It cost as much to ship as I paid for the parts.

Here Here!

The lens is a part that will be giving us fits in several more years, as eventually polishing will no longer yield decent results. I already have one spare that has many small stress-crack like "fractures" in the plastic. Age and UV exposure will only make this worse over time. Ultimately, it will be very difficult to find decent used ones that will be presentable from being polished out for this reason.

i wonder if the plastic headlight sealer i see advertised would work on the taillights?

I guess I am in select company. I too have a NOS tail lamp outer lens. It is in reserve, until the ones on the car can no longer be kept decent by polishing. I have used the Sylvania restoration kit sold by Advanced Auto and have been quite pleased with it. This brings back the shine, and lasts a while, but does nothing for stress cracks (obviously).

I also have a parts hoarding problem, and have been slowly but surely organizing them better to take up less space. It is difficult though, as things like interior door panels and glass are rather large and awkward.

I have also been culling marginal quality parts I had on hand (things that I took off my cars because they were scratched/worn/cracked etc. I hate to throw these away, as many are still usable, just not show-car condition (probably good for a daily driver). Not sure if it's worth listing a grab bag for sale, or just mothball them someplace out of the way. Many of these items are small oddball pieces (like the trunk/fuel buttons from the 90/91 glovebox as just one example). I probably have three sets of these.

I won't even talk about the 20+ 90/91 IPC's I have needing rebuild except to say I am making [slow] progress.

KDirk