Junkyard, San Francisco, 1971

adam1982

I love photos like this too. Each car has a story and going to John Maine's comment that they were all brand new at one time is the fact that some one had to say "I'll take it" on the Dealer's lot. There was a pile like this at Brainard Avenue and Burnham Avenue in South Chicago when I was kid in the 60s.

P

Edited by Pomeroy41144 (see edit history)

Add me to those that would love to see junkyard/salvage yard photos from the old days.

I see a couple of convertibles in there. I noted most cars there are from 1955 to 1960ish.

So, they were junk after 10-15 years. Most of those are collected today. And finally, I don't see any rust owing to it's west coast location. Whimper...

The other thing I think about with junked cars is what happened to them at that particular point in their life that they stopped running - accident, engine, too many repairs needed to keep them going, etc. One minute, they're on the road, the next, they're not. Same thing cruising the flea market at Hershey. When I see a dash or speedometer/odometer on a table for sale, I always wonder what happened that stopped the odometer at that moment in time.

This link to "Hemmings Blog" shows two nice piles. the top is unidentified but I'm thinking it might be the other side of the pile at the top. My reasons are the same era of cars and the rusty iron at the bottom. the lower pic is the one I posted before, from Evansville,In

junkyard scenes | Hemmings Blog: Classic and collectible cars and parts