Grill Differences 1951-1952

Guest shadetree77

Guest shadetree77

I have been looking at some Packard models online and have decided that I really like the 1951-1952 models. One thing I can't find out though is why some cars have a grill with "teeth" and some don't. I can't seem to find any information telling me why that is. When I look up the various models for those years, the grill seems to differ from car to car even within the same model group. For example, if I look up "1951 Packard 300" some have the "teeth" and some don't. Also, I can't find any information on when they stopped using the grill with teeth. Anyway, just curious.

post-75106-143138711808_thumb.jpg

post-75106-14313871181_thumb.jpg

In a nutshell, "teeth" in the grille = a senior model. No teeth = a junior model. If you go to The Packard Club website (Packard Automobile Classics, Inc. - The Packard Club) and then to Reference, you'll find front end views to identify various models.

And don't ignore the possibility that over the years, lots of mongrelizing and alterations could have occurred.

Edited by Owen_Dyneto (see edit history)

Guest shadetree77

Yeah, I found some info. about Packard adding the grill teeth to their lower models part of the way into one of the production years and I'm sure that added to my confusion. Mislabeling of the Google search result pictures probably threw a few curve balls in there as well. So, does anybody know if these grills will interchange? They look basically the same but if messing with cars has taught me one thing, it's that looks can definitely be deceiving!!

I just noticed another difference between the models/years. Some have the word "Packard" spelled out across the front of the hood and some do not. The ones that do not instead have an emblem on the upper grille surround. I believe this might be a difference between model years but Google search mislabeling is making it hard to tell.

Edited by shadetree77 (see edit history)

Guest 51Patty400

The grills are interchangeable however, there are no holes to fit the teeth. Ask me how I know :-( I saw a mint '51 for $800 at Tucsan at the Packard meet in Gettysburg last year. Out of my price range at the time.

Edited by 51Patty400 (see edit history)

Guest shadetree77
the toothless one isn't so scarey looking.:rolleyes:

Haha! That's actually why I like these Packards so much. I like the scary look to them. That first picture up there was from a 1951 Packard hearse that sold on ebay. Talk about creepy looking!! It went for a pretty low price but it was still out of my range so I didn't get to bid. I'll put up some pictures of that creepy old thing. That close up yellowish item is a lens in one of the outside lantern looking lights on this car. Tell me that isn't the creepiest thing you've ever seen? Combine that with the toothy grill and the cat's eye light covers and you've got yourself one scary machine.

post-75106-143138717959_thumb.jpg

post-75106-143138717961_thumb.jpg

post-75106-143138717964_thumb.jpg

post-75106-143138717966_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

As already pointed out, the '51 doesn't have the emblem holes while the '52 does but Al so, the parking light lenses are different. 1951 has radial rings while 1952 has grooves from the base to the tip, although they are totally interchangeable physically and are identical in shape and size. As also pointed out, the teeth are on senior models only.

Edited by Packard Don (see edit history)