1952 buick shock link issues???

rapidride2

I have a 52' roadmaster in which i am replacing the rear shock links. I ordered a set of reproduction 7" shock links. The driver side was a direct bolt on. However the mounting heims on my original passenger side that was taken off are clocked 180 degrees from each other??? The repro is clocked the same causing about a 2 inch gap when i bring my shock lever up to install it.

I was told that my original shock link (which is ORIGINAL) HAS BEEN TAMPERED WITH??? I am not sure about this??? The shock arm is on correct as well..

How are everyone elses pass side shock links clocked on their big buicks?

Guest martylum

I have a 53 Roadmaster all apart for restoration and have the rear shocks off for a rebuild. The shocks links install on the lever arm hole and the hole in the frame rail from the inside going toward the outside-the holes in shock arm and chassis are tapered. My frame rail tapered hole casting had come loose from its welds during disassembly and I had to reweld to the frame rail.

The shock links have both tapered ends pointing in the same direction. You sure you have a matched set of rear shocks?

Martin Lum

53 Buick 76X Roadmaster

I am sure.

If your body is off the frame, with less or no weight on it, the frame will raise up. That will make the frame move sideways since the stabilizer rod swings in an arc.

I have a bare frame here and I was able to mount the drivers side link, but not the passenger side due to this sideways shift.

But it is very close, not 2" gap (see pics).

I will hook it up after the body is back on it. Mike

post-79354-143138711563_thumb.jpg

post-79354-14313871157_thumb.jpg

Hmmm thanks for the support on this. My body is on the frame. My 180 degree opposed pass side link is just as easy to install remove as my correctly clocked dr side. The heim at the lever shock arm (not the at the frame) is the one that is incorrect. To the best of my knowledge these are original parts. I'm baffled. I guess i am gonna check my shock/lever part numbers next?

Driver side shock p/n 5302330 or 5302350 (hard to read installed)

lever p/n 5343898

Pass side shock p/n 5302329

lever p/n 5343895

Edited by rapidride2 (see edit history)

Well, it is possible that different body styles have a different aspect.

Perhaps there was a clearance problem in your model, for what ever reason.

I only am familiar with Estate Wagons, so my authority is limited to them.

Keep in mind even though your body is still intact, you have jacked it up, with possibly similar end results (as far as the frame shift, already mentioned), which is still involved if you are jacking it high enough to get under it!!

Yes, your girth comes into play here...Well, mine does too, big time!!

But, we are working on that issue, and more does not need to be said!!

Trust me on that, if nothing else!!

Cheers, Mike

Going out on a limb here.

Since the part numbers seem to be correct (one number off...I didn't check a book), is it possible that the shocks were rebuilt at some time and the lever was installed backwards on the passenger side? It is possible to do that, and that would explain the 1 1/2" AND the tapered hole being on the wrong side. Just talking out loud...

Going out on a limb here.

Since the part numbers seem to be correct (one number off...I didn't check a book), is it possible that the shocks were rebuilt at some time and the lever was installed backwards on the passenger side? It is possible to do that, and that would explain the 1 1/2" AND the tapered hole being on the wrong side. Just talking out loud...

That fits....nice deduction.

Here ares ome pics of my driver side, pass side and a new shock link. There is a 1/2" difference between my old and the repo shocklinks. I was told this shouldn't matter? Anyways, you can see where my pass side link will not match up unless it i use the original shock link.

post-71387-143138715619_thumb.jpg

post-71387-143138715643_thumb.jpg

post-71387-143138715664_thumb.jpg

At first you mentioned a 1952 you were working on...then in midstream you mentioned a 1953!

Well, it doesn't make a difference to the shock links, as far as I know.

Kudos to you, if you have both, that's all I can say, since they are both gems!!

I only hope all these replies have been a help to you and yours, and thanks to others for their input!!

It has been an enlightenment for me, hopefully for others too.

Cheers, Mike

Guest shadetree77

I was looking around on Ebay and came across this listing for a new set of rear links that says they fit on all Roadmasters from 1941-1953. In the picture from the auction you can clearly see that one link is about 1/2 an inch longer than the other. I think whoever told you the differences in the lengths didn't matter did not know what they were talking about. Here's a link to the auction and I'll put the picture up as well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Rear-Shock-Absorber-Links-Buick-1941-1953-Buick-NEW-/200668744801?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1952|Make%3ABuick&vxp=mtr&hash=item2eb8ca0c61

post-75106-143138715788_thumb.jpg

Edited by shadetree77 (see edit history)

Guest shadetree77

If one of the links was slightly longer and he put it on the passenger side, would it give him enough play to get it mounted to the shock arm on that passenger side? It doesn't look like he needs much to get it in there on that picture.

• 1 month later...

i've run into this similar problem on my '53 Super. The reproductions I ordered from Bob's are 7" center to center. I measured the originals and they are 7.5" center to center. I pulled the shock absorber arm up as far as it will go and it just won't reach the link (like the original posters pic) Does anyone know where I can get 7.5" ones?

I bought a couple of pairs on eBay, recently, and they are 7 1/2" center to center.

They were also quite reasonable, seems they were about $30 with shipping.

I will try to figure out where they came from and let you know.

I remember they were from the Stockton area in California.

I see one of you are selling your 7" set on eBay.

Mike

I'd really appreciate it Mike if you happen to find out who sells them. I called Bob's, Cars, Inc., Kanter and Classic Car Parts and they all said theirs are 7" center to center. I thought I was going crazy. I even remeasured just to be sure. I'm the one selling the 7" set on eBay (and explained that they may not fight ALL 53 Supers)

apologies to rapidride2 if I hijacked your thread, but it seems we are having similar problems.

no worries Mike. For now I ordered some replacement bushings the other day for my original shock links from Steele Rubber in NC. I drilled out the old ones and used carriage bolts, washers and locking washers.

Interesting! do you a have more details like part number, pictures/illustrations?

Willie

OK!!! I found it!!

Oh, sorry, I am referring to the 7 1/2" shock link vendor.

The seller's eBay username is: machine4speed

They were listed for $17.49, which is what I paid for two pairs each, very reasonable, especially when I add in the factor that they are the correct length.

I had been searching for any vendors who were selling the era shock links, and asking them the big question about the "length", and receiving replies varying as much as 1" always shorter...amazing!!

My old worn out originals measure 7.5", so that is what I want to replace them with.

I never measured the old ones before I purchased these, but these fit well, and upon reading this thread, promptly went out and measured them, since I still had the old ones.

I finally figured just how to retrieve my "hidden" eBay purchases, took me awhile, but got there, and there they were!!

machine4speed doesn't seem to have any current listings, but I am going to contact them after posting this, to see if there is still availability.

Mike