Stowe Cars..what are they?

R W Burgess

Thanks Keiser.

I'm working on a Rotary Club power point presentation for tomorrow. They want to see cars. I can show them touring pictures, car pictures, and use my ready mouth to wow them, but I'm somewhat short on some obscure car names. I will post the presentation when I'm through tomorrow. It won't impress you guys, but, "It IS What It Is!":)

Wayne

Just a couple of years ago as a brand new AACA member I took my Hotshot to Charlotte to attend judging school and learn more about AACA showing by entering the car in DPC. I had no idea how things went and more or less stumbled around through the event. What I remember most was how warm and friendly everyone was to me. That is best illustrated by my experience when I showed up for the awards banquet at the end. I had no idea that you were supposed to sign up for a table so I hadn't set up a place to sit. The kind ladies at the front door took it in stride and said it was OK they could put me at Wayne's table. I had no idea that I had been seated with AACA upper echelon!!!! I was made to feel comfortable and encouraged to talk about my cars and projects. The congratulations when I received my DPC certification were real and heartfelt.

This past Spring I finished my latest project, a Crosley Farm O Road and I decided due to the nice time I had at Charlotte that the car would make its debut there. When I hit the show field, among the first faces I saw was Wayne. He again asked me questions and took photographs of my car . Although I didn't get to sit at his table this year, out of the corner of my eye I saw him cheering when I was awarded my first junior. I am priveledged to call him my friend.

I hope you're wearing boots, Dave!:)

It's always a pleasure to meet new people in the AACA. We were all new at one time, you know?

Well, I just finished my project. I'll let you guys know tomorrow night how it went. Thanks for the identification help. I needed it.

Wayne

Man....I wish I had my '55 Dodge back.....63,000 original miles.

I have always been curious about that expression 'original miles' - what other kind of miles are there? We just say 'x miles from new'. Of course if the car is post 1974 it is in kilometres. My daily driver has 345,000 km on it and still has its original clutch and the only engine work so far has been valve stem seals. My old car - 1929 Plymouth - has 78,000 miles on it - from new.

The use of the word original confuses those for whom English is a second language. In Europe it seems that when they repaint an old car in the colour it left the factory that is original paint. To me original paint is the paint that was applied to the car back when it left the factory - which is what is on my1929 Plymouth - underneath the paint that was thrown at it, with overspray on the roof fabric, in about 1950.

.......................................... In Europe it seems that when they repaint an old car in the colour it left the factory that is original paint. To me original paint is the paint that was applied to the car back when it left the factory - which is what is on my1929 Plymouth - underneath the paint that was thrown at it, with overspray on the roof fabric, in about 1950.

About the same feelings in the states. Original miles? Before the speedometer was turned "back", or rolled over, whatever the case may be.;)

Wayne

Original miles? That, to me, means also prior to an engine replacement. Certainly we know that ALL of the miles on MOST of the parts are "original", including paint sometimes, but when you replace the heart of the car which they used as the serial number in a lot of cases, it may have been in another car or even a new engine, so that won't match the odometer. Does that make sense?

1955 was the last year of production for the Willys Model car, Wayne................

Thanks,

Well, the meeting with the Rotaries went over well. BTW, it must have been a Willys, as no one in room disputed it. :)

It was an interesting meeting, very short on parlimentary procedures. The best part? They will send a donation to the AACA Library because of my presentation. Can't beat that, now, can you?';)

As our table was asking questions about the Corvette that I drove down there, it became clear to me, that Tom, the fellow who invited me, was hiding something. He finally told me he was a Chevy engineer and actually worked the Corvette line in the late 70's, early 80's. Boy, you just never know who is sitting beside you anymore, do you? Lots of fun!:D

Wayne