Car Cover

I have a 1937 Humpback 4 door Ford V8. It has to be moved outside for this winter. It is an original car and fair shape, but I want to cover it and protect it. I have found that most good car covers are $250 or more. Does anyone have any good ideas on how to car and protect a nice, maybe not good, car from the winter that would cost less than $100?

Thanks Mike

Guest jack_a_eckert

You could try a blue reinforced poly tarp with eyelets from Home Depot or Lowes. Hold it down with gallon water or milk jugs roped to the eyelets. You should also prop the tarp up a bit away from the roof and hood with styrofoam or similar material for air circulation.

Jack E/NJ

Sounds like you have tried this. Does the tarp stick to the car or is the styrofoam just for air, because the tarp does not breathe? The real reason for the cover is that the fornt windshield does not seal against rain and snow. I do not want the floor broads and metal to get any worse than they are now. Thanks for the idea. I'll give it try.

Guest jack_a_eckert

Yep. Do it every winter. Blue tarp surface is rough so it's less likely to create vacuum pockets and stick/adhere and trap water like Saran wrap or smooth polyethylene paint-splatter sheets. I suppose the styrofoam helps in this respect but it's main purpose is for air circulation to help reduce moisture entrapment. I also suggest parking the car on top of a blue tarp or even a cheaper polyethylene sheet to act as a moisture barrier to help slow down undersurface corrosion. Unfortunately, you can only slow down corrosion especially if parking it outside or an unheated garage.

Jack E/NJ