1961-64 power antenna

dlh61olds

I am in the process of locating a source for replacement masts for the 1961-64 power antenna on my Olds cars.

Other GM cars used the same antenna but I don't participate on their forums

How many folks would be interested in a new top mast with new cord (snake)attached??

Could be $100 to $130 est.

Dave

Edited by dlh61olds
add (see edit history)

Know this doesn't exactly answer your question, but I do know of one good guy who had a one-week turnaround fixing the power antenna for my '62 Starfire years ago; his name is Klaus Wojak, and is from Banner Elk, NC as I recall. He advertises in Hemmings, and I Googled him and found this information:

Klaus Wojak

P.O. Box 553

241 Hanging Rock

Banner Elk, North Carolina 28604

828-898-9338

Guest rsd9699

Just a tidbit about govmo power antenna masts. The different divisions used different tips at the end of the antenna. So the 63 PA from a Pontiac will likely work in a 63 Olds (allowing for mounting brackets) but would not be a 100 percent correct antenna if judging were a factor.

Ron

• 2 months later...

I have been rebuilding the later design (about 1979- present) for several years.

I have done 1 1974 Buick power antenna (I dubbed them the "soup can design") and they are completely different. They have gears like a clock and some "timed" contacts.

If anyone has a service manual that give details on this design I would be happy to pay for copies and shipping as I would like to learn more about them.

I also have a Pontiac owner in VA that is sending me two of thes "soup can" antennas with the understanding I will attempt to make one good one out of two, but I am a the beginning of the learning curve. (one of the two is a CB mast)

I can also tell you that the GM plastic cable (probably the snake referred to in an earlier post) became a problem from GM in the last few years. The parts were coming from Delco Mexico and the plastic was brittle when they arrived. I had several fail within a couple of months.

Possibly because of parts problems and they were not making enough profit, GM has discontinued almost all the replacement mast parts.

I can repair any 1980 and later GM power antenna and would be glad to talk to anyone about the earlier ones....... I am attaching some photos of the different "basic" designes.

The first two pictures are of the early "soup can" power antenna, one shows the gears and contacts. The last picture is the late design, it has a black plastic housing (except the first year was off white) and there are some minor changes in the gold colored mast section over the years. The part that attaches at the fender also changes, some have threads, others have a round socket that snaps into the fender adaptor.

Barney 512-869-5114

post-30596-143138788626_thumb.jpg

post-30596-143138788628_thumb.jpg

post-30596-14313878863_thumb.jpg

Edited by Barney Eaton (see edit history)

Guest rsd9699

The service manual covers the rebuilding process as far back as the electrics go. The "soap can" are Tenna brand.

The CB antenna pictured is the hardest to restore as the loading coil is hard to find where the plastic is not broken.

Best of luck in your endeavorers - keep us posted.

Ron

Mid 70s a lot of GM cars had a LOCAL/DISTANCE switch on power antennae instead of a raise/lower control switch. The things are automatic when the radio is turned on or off.

My 76 Ninety Eight has the aggravating thing. Set to LOCAL, the aerial raises about a foot when the radio turns on. DISTANCE raises it full height. At times, when set in DISTANCE it will lack about 3" retracting all the way into the fender when the radio is turned off.

I much prefer the UP/DOWN control scheme on the 60s cars.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

A year has past and I hope I am a little smarter....... Tenna (Cleveland) made antenna for GM and Ford, maybe others. They seem to have gone out of business in the early 1980's. GM's Delco started with their design as early as 1979.

The Tenna antenna was made in two different versions. The basic antenna relied on a dash mounted UP/DOWN switch. They had a second version that had internal switch/contacts that controlled the UP and Down stops. I have repaired some of these but as noted, parts are hard to find and sometimes it takes 2-3 antenna to make one good one. If the mast is bent or broken, the "Tenna and GM mast are not interchangeable so the correct mast is needed.

If you need antenna help send me an email (Barney@texas.net)

• 4 years later...
Guest Barry Ewing
On 1/16/2013 at 10:18 PM, Barney Eaton said:

A year has past and I hope I am a little smarter....... Tenna (Cleveland) made antenna for GM and Ford, maybe others. They seem to have gone out of business in the early 1980's. GM's Delco started with their design as early as 1979.

The Tenna antenna was made in two different versions. The basic antenna relied on a dash mounted UP/DOWN switch. They had a second version that had internal switch/contacts that controlled the UP and Down stops. I have repaired some of these but as noted, parts are hard to find and sometimes it takes 2-3 antenna to make one good one. If the mast is bent or broken, the "Tenna and GM mast are not interchangeable so the correct mast is needed.

If you need antenna help send me an email (Barney@texas.net)

Barney i am a new member and have got a 1962 olds starfire convt with a bad antenna motor . I have checked the power to the antenna and it is good to that point. I tried to get power through the motor and i think it needs a motor .

Hope you can help me . [ Call me at 2314595422 ]  OLDtimerolds1962

• 1 year later...

I spend most of my time on the Buick forums........I am the BCA technical advisor for Reatta and that is how I became involved with rebuilding the 1980 and later antenna.

If you need antenna help........I will gladly walk you thru what I know........PM me or call 512-869-5114

16 minutes ago, Barney Eaton said:

I spend most of my time on the Buick forums........I am the BCA technical advisor for Reatta and that is how I became involved with rebuilding the 1980 and later antenna.

If you need antenna help........I will gladly walk you thru what I know........PM me or call 512-869-5114

I have used Barney for antenna help/rebuilds several times in the past on the earlier power antennas like the one in my 1963 Buick Riviera. He is an invaluable resource. His pricing is fair, he is easy to work with, fast turn around and he is very knowledgeable. If you have an antenna problem or question, Barney is the man. Highly recommended. 

Bill

• 1 year later...

Just bumping this post as it is over a year old.

In addition to repairing original antenna...........I have modified some of the late Delco Slimline (more parts available for these than the '60-'70 Tenna) so they can be used in the "60-'70 GM cars.

If you don't care if it is exactly original it can be done... if interested I can tell you what must be done and it can be wired to work with your original UP/DOWN switch.