more fun w/ 49 DeSoto

Guest DeSotoStan

Guest DeSotoStan

I'd like to second LostButNOtForgot's post about how enjoyable it is to drive an original 49 S-13 4-door. Against the advise of others (who advised against buying a 4-door) , a couple of months ago I bought a Custom at what I believe to be a fair price of $5500. You're right, LostButNotForgot. It is a BEAUTIFUL car, & A LOT of fun to drive.

This forum has been invaluable due to the suggestions & advise from experienced members. I could not have resolved many issues without their knowledge.

I make it a point to commute in to work with the DeSoto twice per week (when no rain is predicted), & it certainly adds some excitement to an otherwise draining commute (16 miles & 25 minutes each way). After over 100,000 miles, her tired engine deserves respect, so rather than push the spedometer over 45mph, I pull over to allow the occasional 2 or 3 cars behind me to pass.

I use 87 octane gas with an additive I add to counter the effects of ethanol. I've delayed the oil change I've asked about in past posts due to the engine burning oil, but will do so soon (I currently add 10-40 Quaker State.)

I can't express enough gratitude to the folks who've shared their knowledge & love of classic cars here in this forum.

I used to own a very low mileage 1949 Dodge 4 door and it drove and rode like a dream. Always had power. Never heard an outside noise while driving it. Nice car very comparable to the '49 DeSoto.

• 2 months later...

We bought my uncles 49 four door DeSoto Custom last summer. It had been in the garage for over 20 years. With 72,000 miles on the old engine we had some trouble near the end of the summer and now have to get the engine rebuilt. It was a lot of fun to drive it. A 1980's paint job was all that has been done in the last 62 years. We are the 3rd owner of this car.

Guest Bob Call

I bought a 50 DeSoto Custom sedan in the sixties. It ran great, rode like a dream and never any mechanical problems. Now wish I had never sold it the get a 56 Olds 88 with A/C.

Guest DeSotoStan

Glad there are others enjoying the DeSoto as much as I. Unfortunately, I'm now waiting tofind a mechanic willing to take on the task of replacing the timing chain. The car now sits in a rented garage, waiting. I think mechanics are reluctant to deal with an old car, since it must sit at their place, occupying space, while parts are searched for, ordered, difficult problems diagnosed, etc. Anyway, I'm waiting for a vacation from work to search around & find someone qualified. Looking forward to driving her again.

Thanks for your inspirational posts.

ss

Guest DeSotoStan

c49er - Bob-Thanks for the offer. I don't see myself moving to Seattle, but if you'd be willing to come over here to NH, dinner's on me. Yes, there are tons on miles - I don't know for sure, but probably well over 100,000. The engine is a flathead 6-cyl (in-line?). The compression was almost non-existent in some of the cylinders. Maybe it's not the timing chain after all.

Thanks again.

Stan

What is the compression? What is the oil pressure? If your motor has 100,000 miles on it and has never been rebuilt it is overdue for a rebuild. It is very unlikely to be a timing chain.

Before you have a heart attack all the parts are available and the motor is one of the easiest to rebuild for someone who knows how.

Here is a good source of motor parts. The Power Wagon uses the same motor as your car.

Vintage Power Wagons-- Your Source for Dodge Power Wagon Parts and Trucks! -- civilian military m 37, m-37 wc Dodge Power Wagon

Guest DeSotoStan

Rusty_OToole,

I've listed the compression data in the "Technical" section, where I hope to make all future posts. Thank you very much for the link - 2 owners ago, the engine was apparently "taken apart," but beyond that, noone knows what was done.

I don't know what I'd do if it wasn't for your and other members' helpful advice.

Stan