58 Caddy Mystery switch, what does it do?

cw4dove

I have a 58 Cadillac Series 62 that has a mystery switch that I cannot figure out. This is a toggle type switch in a bakelite housing mounted on the bottom of the dash near the parking brake. In fact I have broken the housing hitting it with my foot while setting or releasing the brake. It has two wires, and if you touch one of the wires to metal the horn blows, but moving the switch does not blow the horn. What is this? it is not the radio antenae, as that actuates with the radio on/off switch. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks for your reply. Don't know, guess that is possible, although whichever position it is in, it seems to do nothing. Nothing is disabled nor does intrusion of movement cause the horn to blow. It is not a simple metal toggle, the switch itself is similar to a light switch or convertible top switch. I thought it might be an electric trunk release, but there is no evidence of an actuator on or connected to the trunk release mechanism.

Check at night to see if the taillights go out when you flip the switch. Some cars are equipped (by the nefarious owner) with a taillight "off" switch for rum running or other criminal deeds at night. They can turn the taillights out from the driver's seat while eluding the cops.