34 Dodge...maybe...can someone help???

Guest cadaber

Guest cadaber

I picked up this old Dodge 4 door and I was told it is a 34. It's almost complete, however, I can not verify the model or year. Can anyone offer any help on this? I have always restored Mustangs, so this is my first shot at a 30's Dodge. The tag on the firewall has "DR31677S", any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

Mark

Guest cadaber

Thank you!!! Yeah...I had a 41 Chevy I was building and ran into this car while it was being trailered into a car swap meet. As soon as I saw the car...I new I wanted it. Love the suicide doors...I sold my 41 to my father-in-law within 45 minutes and bought this old car. I'm usually not a impulse buyer...but I really love the look of it. First four door I have ever liked.

Thanks again for you help,

v/r

Mark

Guest cadaber

It amazes me that I had never noticed these cars. I have always built mustangs and never wanted to tinker with anything else until recently. My biggest challenges I see ahead with this car is that although it is almost complete (to include interior), I am missing four items. The two head lamps, the ashtray, and the hand crank. Everything else seems to be there...pretty amazing to me.

Guest cadaber

Hey thanks!!! I have been skeptical about purchasing anything until now. I wasn't sure I even knew what I had...haha. Thanks again

The 34s are one of my favorites. Those that you show John came thru me. I was hungry several years ago and sold them to a guy down in the Corvallis area. The one with the Mustang two front susp came from Sacramento and the stock one came from Minnisota. I wish my financial situation had not forced me to sell them. I hope they found a good home.

Hi Cadaber,

I too have a 1934 4 door sedan. Mine is American with the Budd Body and 6 wheel equipped. I was fortunate that mine must have been brought to Australia after being built as a right hand drive ( the correct side ! ). I haven't found any other with a Budd body here but I'm still looking. I've posted a number of photos on this site which you may find interesting.

Can you post a photo (s) of the rear of the car where the bumper bar irons bolt up to the body / chassis. Yours look complete and it might give me the info I'm looking for.

Have fun with the 34 and if I can help with photos I'd be more than happy to.

Ian

MArk, the number on the firewall is the body number. The prefix with 'DR' makes it a '34. Your number 3 719 279 would place it near the end of the '34 model. Starting S/N was 3 680 001 and ending S/N was 3 756 367. I hope this helps.

Rodher "Dodger"

Guest cadaber

Ian,

Here are a few photos, I hope they work. I have already pulled the bumper assembly but took these photos before I started. Good luck!!!

RAH,

Thanks for the help, since I have joined this forum (within the past few days) I have learned so much from everyone in here. I am really fortunate to have found this site and all the really helpful people within it. Thanks again!

Mark

post-80018-143138709005_thumb.jpg

post-80018-143138709028_thumb.jpg

Guest cadaber

Just an interesting story I would like to share. Yesterday a gentleman walked up and asked me about the car while I was working on pulling the fender off. He told me he knew the original owner and was good friends with the family. I must admit, I really wasn't so sure he was looking at the same car he remembered some many years ago. When he spouted off the family name that is on the registration card I have, I was shocked to say the least. He gave me a complete background on the car. All the details from the original owner, whrere it has been stored, etc. Very neat to listen to everthing he had to say. The most interesting point was the son of the original owner was overcome by cancer some time back and the wife had tried to get the sons to restore the vehicle, however, none of them really had the interest or ambition to take on the project, so it sat in a field for a few years. Finally the wife decided to just get rid of the car rather than watch it rust on the farm. The fella that bought it from her sold it to me and made a little money apparently. haha Oh well...I didnt buy the car to make money so I really couldn't care to be honest. The old timer that came buy is going to talk to his friend that sold the car and see if she would like to follow the progress on the car. I beleive that once I finish the car, I will save an area where I can pinstripe the gentleman's name and a cancer ribbon somewhere on the vehicle as a dedication to him. Hopefully it all works out well.

Edited by cadaber (see edit history)

I am guessing since you didn't know the year, that you didn't get a title with the car? Maybe the past owners or that family could assist you in obtaining one? I also hope you intend to keep the car original? They make a fine car to drive in stock condition. Looks like a good restoration candidate! Welcome to DB's! Please consider joing the DB Club if not already a member.

Guest cadaber

dwollam,

I did get the title, however, the Engine / ID Number on the title didn't match the serial number on the door. I have been trying to go thru the car and figure out all the information on it. The title date is from 1956, so it hasn't changed hands in quite some time. I was a little nervous to be honest because I couldn't verify any information since I knew nothing of the car.

I am definitely keeping it original...it would be a crime to do anything less. Also, I would love to join the DB Club. Can you send any info on where to get further information?

Thanks,

Mark

Guest Mark1934*

Awesome car. You will have fun restoring it. I see you and Ian found each other. I emailed you some of Ian's pictures, as he is ahead of you on the body work. His project is coming along and should be an inspiration to you.

Is it possible number used on the title was the engine number - as is done here in WI on cars prior to about 1963? If so, you may need to find the engine number if it is the original engine. Are they on the block near the left front just under the head between cyl's #1 and #2 - like on the '36's? I'm not sure about the '34's.

Here is the link for the Dodge Brothers Club membership application:

https://dodgebro.ipower.com/forms/membership.php :)

Guest cadaber

Thanks again to everyone for all the help. I am really thankful to have found this site and been lucky enough to get so much help from everyone. I have been slacking on the motivation side due to lack of knowledge on the car. Now I'm ready to go again and excited to get back on it. Thank you all!!!

If I could offer some advice it would be to not dissasemble the car to restore but rather get it where you can drive it and enjoy it. If this is your first big project than it will take its toll on you sitting in pieces real quick ( ask me how I know )

Guest cadaber

1930...I appreciate the advice and can totally relate to big projects. I have restored several mustangs, however, this is the first car that isn't a mustang. Another big challenge will be the availability of parts. I can find almost anything for mustangs, to include floor pans. This car will be difficult at best. The biggest expectation I have is to teach my son the beauty of these old cars, not to mention a ton of patience along the way.

I have to agree with 1930 here! "How do you eat an elephant?" Small bites ~ then it is not such a big task. Go through the mechanical side of things to make sure that it is roadworthy. Brakes, fuel system, lights, check wiring and a tuneup, for example and then you can drive the Dodge and enjoy it as you travel down the road. You don't really have to restore the car but "maintain" it in order to drive it. Then you can decide just how far you want to go with the "restoration"!

Guest cadaber

Everything you are stating makes total sense. The challenge is that the car has been sitting since 56 and I find the car to be far from road worthy. At some point mice had got into the wiring and nested under the rear seat. The only recent item on the car are the tires, the owner replaced them so her son could move it and start the restoration process. Unforunately, no action was ever taken. With the current state, I would have to likely go thru a minimum of 60% of the detail even if I decided not to fully restore the vehilce. This was the premise of my intentions and why I decided to make it a project with my son. There will be a lot to learn with the vehicle, but definitely well worth the effort.

Thanks again for the honest input...much appreciated.

All I have to add at the moment is to take LOTS of photos of "before". Take way more than you think you need. All angles of every assembly. These will be worth soooo much to you later. Bag and tag EVERYTHING. Especially things you think may be worthless. John

Guest cadaber

I agree...I take photos of as much as I can, it's really easy to forget how something came off and bolt placement. I took plenty of photos of the rivits under the running board as well. I am taking my time prepping the bolts, some can e hard to replace. I have notice the carriage bolts on the bumper are very unique.

Today I focused on the passenger side, now I will direct my attention on the front assemly and the radiator housing. I plan on storing the body and spending some quality time on the frame and front end.

post-80018-143138710348_thumb.jpg

post-80018-143138710351_thumb.jpg

Edited by cadaber (see edit history)

Keiser....spot on.

Take way too many photos. There is never enough.

Unfortunately, mine was stripped when I bought it ( first pic in my album ).

With the help of people in the US and Australia I've been able to find where most of the parts go. I'm still trying to source a few parts but I'm getting there slowly.

I'd love to see inside....any pics ?

Ian