Generator Brushs

Could any one please tell me which position the 3th brush goes in a 6 volt north east generator. i have been trying to fix it as it wasnt charging and didn't realize that there was a difference in the bushes. I have 1 thin and 2 thick bushes I'm guessing that the thin one is the 3th bush and goes in the slot that adjusts. thanks Mick

Mick went into my maual and all it tells us is the 2 main brushes are copper in colour and the third brush is black As for the charge rate it saysit should be regulated in accordance with the amount of work the battery is required to do 1 rule of thumb is 5 to 7 amps charging at 20 mph Hope this helps Ron

Guest DodgeKCL

Do you not have farmers down there still using tractors with 6 volt systems? We do in Canada but they are becoming fewer. There is a large hobby of restoring old tractors and they are all 6 volt. My brother-in-law is in to the tractor restoration hobby. Especially the Fords. Try contacting your local farm/tractor dealer and ask if he still looks after 6 volt tractors. If he does he most likely has a local shop that looks after his generator and starter repairs.

Michael, I don't know if it is of interest to you, but if you can't get your generator repaired in Australia, there is a long established firm here in Derbyshire, England who can rewind and fully restore it for you. I have used them to restore a vintage cut - out and they made a very good job of it. At present they are repairing the 6 volt starter motor motor from my 1926 DB tourer.

Please let me know if you are interested; I don't know about prices though.

Cheers,

Ray.