Earliest GM Bucket Seats?

MrEarl

Do the fold up "bucket" seats of the earlier tudor sedans count? The 36 Chevrolet Standard 2-door has bucket seats that fold (passenger) or lift (driver) for access to the back seat. If these meet the criteria, then I believe some of the sedans back in the 20's had these.

Dim memory just recalled: the 1917-18 Chevrolet Model D (V-8) "Chummy" roadster has what could be considered bucket seats. Here is a link to a Spanish discussion that shows a decent picture .

these bucket seat that todd has shown were first available in 1958 pontiac bonnevilles, the first pair were shown in a couple of 1957 bonneville show cars. pontiac's 1953 concept car, the parisienne, had bucket seat done in pink leather. charles coker, 1953 pontiac tech advisor.

Edited by pontiac1953 (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

I was going to say the '58 Pontiac Bonneville was the first (excluding the '53 Corvette) to have bucket seats in "modern" times. I'm pretty sure I remember a '60 Bonneville wagon with bucket seats and what looked like every option you could get in 1960 at the Tulley Buick Show at Anheiser-Busch in Merrimac, NH a few years ago.

I would think the bucket seats in the '53 Corvettes were more modern looking than what was in the Corvair.

Bleach is right, but the modern bucket seat which is on a track and the back pushes forward to allow rear seat access is probably the 59 Buick/Cadillac/Oldsmobile and the 58 Pontiac Bonneville.

these bucket seat that todd has shown were first available in 1958 pontiac bonnevilles, and 1958 chevy impalas. the first pair were shown in a couple of 1957 bonneville show cars. pontiac's 1953 concept car, the parisienne, had bucket seat done in pink leather. charles coker, 1953 pontiac tech advisor.

Agree on the '58 Pontiac but not the '58 Impala. first use of buckets by Chevrolet was the 1962 Impala Super Sport

To my knowledge Oldsmobile did not use them until 1961, in the Starfire.

Interesting sidebar to this is in 1966, when GM introduced their "Strato-Bucket" seats, they also offered "Strato-Bench" seating in their high-line full-sizers- Oldsmobile Starfire/Delta/Toronado, Pontiac Bonneville/Brougham/GP, Chevrolet Caprice and Buick Riviera. A comfortable "thin-shell" cushion with Strato-Bucket backrests. Interesting also to note that GP/Starfire/Riv had been exclusively bucket seat cars til then, but with the Strato-Bench, they still had the bucket seat look with a full-width cushion, and a nice center fold-down armrest to boot.

I know in 58 hot rodders were using bucket seats out of Chev panel trucks,which they cut down or modified, and foreign sports car seats like Austin Healey and Triumph if they could get them, or even VW beetle.

Buckets in US cars were not available at that time except for Tbirds. Corvette seats were molded into the body.

I know in 58 hot rodders were using bucket seats out of Chev panel trucks,which they cut down or modified, and foreign sports car seats like Austin Healey and Triumph if they could get them, or even VW beetle.

Buckets in US cars were not available at that time except for Tbirds. Corvette seats were molded into the body.

hi rusty, i guess you've never seen or read about the bucket seat option in 1958 pontiac bonnevilles. charles coker, 1953 pontiac tech advisor.

Guest rsd9699

I think there is a picture of a 58 Impala that James Garner dunked in pool that has some good shots of the interior in color. I do not recall the movies name.

Ron

Guest rsd9699

I thought she was in it as well but now I am wondering if it was a chevy or pontiac? Have not seen the movie in 20 or 30 years.

Ron

The flic is, "TheThrill of it All," (1963), and the car is a '58 Impala; great for the cars, BTW. The image comes from the IMCDb, the scene is when Garner drives into the newly-installed pool (that he didn't know about).

snapshot20090726155506.jpg

It's a reallly fun movie, especially the traffic jam on the FDR Drive in Manhattan on the East River.

TG

Edited by TG57Roadmaster (see edit history)
  • Like 1

The bucket seats were offered in the '58 Pontiac Bonneville, and were also utilized for the '58 Buick Limited Wells Fargo built for Dale Robertson.

Here are a couple of shots of the GM bucket seats in 1959 GM cars:

1959 Pontiac Bonneville:

meadowbrookix_original.jpg

1959 Buick Electra 225:

meadowbrook30_original.jpg

And here are the buckets again in an all-original 1960 Buick Invicta Custom Estate Wagon:

pictures_of_all_our_cars_012medium_original.jpg

• Like 1

I forgot about the '58 T-bird. Guess that would tie with the '58 Bonneville, but I wonder which one hit showrooms first? My guess would be the T-bird.

Also, I don't think Corvairs had buckets until the Monza came out. The '60 500 and 700 coupes and sedans had bench seats. I don't remember, though, if there were any Monzas produced in '60.

Bought a new "63 Ford Galaxie 500 XL with buckets and a console and a 4-speed. Those were the most comfortable seats I had owned to that time. Swapped it for a new Chev Impala SS equiped the same way and the seats were the most unfortable I had ever rode in. There was little lateral support and the backrest angle changed about halfway up. Repeatedly gave me a back ache and I was only 25 years old. Drove my pickup until I got disgusted and traded the car off. I have no good memories of that car except of it's gas mileage and straightline acceleration.

• 1 year later...
Agree on the '58 Pontiac but not the '58 Impala. first use of buckets by Chevrolet was the 1962 Impala Super Sport

Around 1965-66...I saw a yellow 1959 Impala convertible with black rag top and black interior....I fell in love with this car......It had bucket seats and a console......with a 4 speed....I looked at this car several times before it was gone.......I am not saying that someone could not of rebuilt it this way.....but I sure thought it was original....maybe a special order.....

My dad had a '60 Corvair with buckets. They were low back, but didn't look like other EM buckets.

When did swivel buckets come out and what all were they on?

Those are the same buckets used by Oldsmobile in the 61 Cutlass, Pontiac Tempest, and Buick Skylark/Special

http://www.oldcarbrochures.com/new/171110/1961%20Oldsmobile%20F-85%20Cutlass%20Foldout/1961%20Oldsmobile%20F-85%20Cutlass%20Foldout-01.jpg

http://www.smcars.net/forums/attachments/pontiac/21d1141258281-pontiac-tempest-1961-1961.pontiac.tempest.jpg

http://www.autopaedia.com/auta/Buick/Buick%20Skylark,%20Buick%20Gran%20Sp

http://forums.aaca.org/attachments/f117/41312d1258388717-1961-buick-skylark-sale-front-car.jpg

Edited by helfen (see edit history)

hi rusty, i guess you've never seen or read about the bucket seat option in 1958 pontiac bonnevilles. charles coker, 1953 pontiac tech advisor.

I seriously doubt any hot rodder in 1958 bought a BRAND NEW Pontiac Bonneville, just to take the seats out. Or went to the Pontiac dealer and ordered new seats at full list price.

I do know they scrounged the junk yards for suitable seats and found them in defunct panel trucks, sports cars and imports.

By the mid sixties it may have been possible to find a cheap set of Pontiac Bonneville seats in a junk yard but in 1958? Unlikely.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

The Monza Corvair with bucket seats came out in February of 1960. 1959 Chrysler products had optional swivel seats but never thought of them as being bucket seats. The driver's and far right passenger seats swiveled but the middle portion was stationary so the cars were actually 6-passenger cars.

• 7 years later...

Here are four 50's GM cars that came with buckets, '58 Bonneville, '59 Bonneville, '59 Buick and the '58 Buick Wells Fargo show car (might be the first non-corvette GM to have buckets that wasn't a prototype, also has power vent window and fiberglass boot, also probably the first GM car to come with real guns). You could also get bucket seats in the '59 Cadillac.

58-bonne.jpg

59-bonne.jpg

59-buick.jpg

well-fargo.jpg

• Like 1